Re: NeverTable for Levelset

I added a map parser, shino

~DEV

Nice :-)

parasti wrote:

BTW, I object quite strongly to the idea of map sources being considered an "optional extra". That goes hardcore against the basic principles of our little project here (being open source and sharing knowledge and all that).

shino wrote:

OK. So I'll ask for a pair of file; .sol and .map and try to make minimum checks to verify both are consistent.

I am imagining the the level repository will be a place that stuff that isn't suitable for inclusion in a Neverball release can live (eg: stuff that doesn't adhere to the mapping guidelines, isn't quite polished enough, or is otherwise just not suitable), so from my perspective, it seems less critical (though sources are good).

My main reasons for suggesting that .map files only might be an OK way to go were mostly revolving around what shino has mentioned in that there's extra work involved in verifying both files, and that there's more stuff for the mapper to do/keep track of.

If we're talking about going through the effort to parse .map and .sol files to make sure they match, is there much more overhead in compiling .map files on the server?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:

I am imagining the the level repository will be a place that stuff that isn't suitable for inclusion in a Neverball release can live (eg: stuff that doesn't adhere to the mapping guidelines, isn't quite polished enough, or is otherwise just not suitable), so from my perspective, it seems less critical (though sources are good).

That's what I suspected you were thinking, I just forgot to point this out.

It seems obvious to me, but for the sake of clarity: the repo should serve as the starting point of anyone who wants to publish their work. I'm sure you know what Steam Workshop is. Well, Workshop didn't actually exist when I first got the idea of a repo like that, but the way it works is how I want the level repository to work. Just the basic workflow: you make something, upload it to the repo, and then see what people think of it. It's not a fallback, it's not a place where "sub par" levels go to die, it's the ultimate place to go to for publishing and obtaining stuff that is not in Neverball.

Also, I really kind of want to get rid of the "holy grail" status of something being included in a Neverball release. I want a game that doesn't grow infinitely in download size. I want high-quality levels in the level repository that are "part of Neverball" in every sense except that they are not part of the initial download. Stuff like that.

My main reasons for suggesting that .map files only might be an OK way to go were mostly revolving around what shino has mentioned in that there's extra work involved in verifying both files, and that there's more stuff for the mapper to do/keep track of.

I was just making a point, we don't really need to verify any files. (Though I still think showing the error would be pretty sweet...) As for the inclusion of SOLs being more to keep track of for mappers, I'd disagree. Compiling the map is a crucial part of the workflow, I don't see how it might be considered a burden.

parasti wrote:

It's not a fallback, it's not a place where "sub par" levels go to die, it's the ultimate place to go to for publishing and obtaining stuff that is not in Neverball.

I'd like to see it as somewhere that in-progress levels can go to get feedback and collaboration, so it would need to be accessible to "sub par" stuff.

Also, I really kind of want to get rid of the "holy grail" status of something being included in a Neverball release. I want a game that doesn't grow infinitely in download size. I want high-quality levels in the level repository that are "part of Neverball" in every sense except that they are not part of the initial download. Stuff like that.

I'd be keen to see us refine what's included with a release down to stuff that gives a the game a consistent feel and flow. I don't think we currently have that, and it'd be nice to be able to concentrate on creating that kind of polished experience without feeling like we were sacrificing worthwhile maps (by relegating the awesome stuff that people do beyond that off to the level repository).

Also, Workshop is massively populated by junk >_<

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

We should add a system which flag a complete and polished level set as "stable" and sub par stuff as "alpha" and unfinished (but with some finished polished levels) as "beta".

I agree with parasti. I think that we mustn't include new level sets directly in Neverball. I'd like to see a place where you find levels for Neverball, like we are planning to do.

~DEV

Shino, I added a Server-side compiler, I wish you will test on your server, I'd like to know if it works. You need a copy of Neverball on this server, cause mapc need the data folder to works. Tell me feedback

~DEV

OK I'll test that when I'll upload a beta version on the server.