Topic: NeverTable for Levelset

I start a new thread for this. As I said, Cheeseness and I talked on IRC about a new project to add a new website for allow mappers to upload their levels and make a centralized repository. I have some questions:

1) Is possible to have from shino the source code of the NeverTable?

2) Want someone help us with his PHP skill?

~DEV

Re: NeverTable for Levelset

The source code of nevertable is available :
  - On github : https://github.com/shinodark/Nevertable
  - On gna (svn) : https://gna.org/projects/nevertable/

I'll be glad to help as I could. (but as I said earlier I won't be there for the next 3 weeks...)

3 (edited by Cheeseness 2012-08-08 10:22:06)

To be clear, I suggested that a new thread be created to continue discussion exploring the idea previously talked about in this thread rather than having it hijack this thread over here (which had just had its title renamed).

I imagine that such a system would benefit from having integrated authentication with the Neverform (this appears to be fairly achievable). I haven't looked into it, but perhaps PunBB already provides functionality that we could use for commenting in this type of thing.

Some level of integration with the Nevertable for sharing replays, I don't know how critical/worthwhile source access would be at this stage.

So far as people with skills go, I'd be happy to tackle a project like this once it had some groundwork and solid design (idea, not graphic) behind it. I don't see it being particularly difficult. I'm pretty sure jammnrose would also have the capacity, but he's seemed pretty busy the last few times I talked to him.

If we did embark on a project like this, it would probably be good to approach it with the expectation that it would coincide with a future 1.6 Neverball release rather than go mad at it to get it done as soon as possible before we'd really nailed down what exactly we wanted to achieve.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I agree with you... Well, I have only a question:
Can someone (someone good with photo editing), make an image like this, but with the words "Nevertable of Levels"?

~DEV

I think we've got the base image without text hanging around somewhere (I'm sure I had a copy at one stage, but I reckon shino has it).

That sort of thing is the kind of stuff you pop on top once all the underlying work has been done. Make sure to focus on identifying the underlying intentions and functionality of the system before getting too caught up in stuff like visual presentation smile

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

UPDATE: I tried to base this site on wordpress. I created a nice design, and i customized it to make it like a table instead of a blog. Added a custom post type named "Levelset"

~DEV

When I said "Nevertable for levelsets", I used it to get the idea across. I think the name "Nevertable for levelsets" would be a terrible name to use. It's a level repository. If it needs a name at all, surely it can be called something more appropriate.

Cheeseness wrote:

If we did embark on a project like this, it would probably be good to approach it with the expectation that it would coincide with a future 1.6 Neverball release rather than go mad at it to get it done as soon as possible before we'd really nailed down what exactly we wanted to achieve.

I don't think making it coincide with the release would somehow help us nail down what we want to achieve. It would be nice if the repo was there upon release, we could mention it prominently in release notes and such (btw, is the lack of a proper news feed affecting how we look at release events?), but I don't see value in artificial dependencies where X can't happen unless Y.

8 (edited by ht-never 2012-08-08 15:48:40)

parasti wrote:

When I said "Nevertable for levelsets", I used it to get the idea across. I think the name "Nevertable for levelsets" would be a terrible name to use. It's a level repository. If it needs a name at all, surely it can be called something more appropriate.

As Cheeseness said many times, that sort of thing is the kind of stuff you pop on top once all the underlying work has been done. So we will chose the name later.

parasti wrote:

I don't think making it coincide with the release would somehow help us nail down what we want to achieve. It would be nice if the repo was there upon release, we could mention it prominently in release notes and such (btw, is the lack of a proper news feed affecting how we look at release events?), but I don't see value in artificial dependencies where X can't happen unless Y.

We will do things slowly. whether it will be ready before the release, we will put it online before.

----------------------------------------- NOW ----------------------------------------------
A couple of questions:
1) What we will put on the homepage? This is important. Want we a timeline with updates? a list of current levels? A sidebar with recent comments?

Tell me your concepts

~DEV

UPDATE: Exclusive screenshot of my work

Current UI (I Have to adjust the sidebar):
http://s10.postimage.org/rnsqkp7md/image.jpg

~DEV

There's one concern I have (which I think I have voiced before)

ht-never, please make sure if you put any 'demonstration' wikis or websites online that you implement a "no-index" mechanism. (ie robots.txt)

This forum, the nevertable and neverball.org are the center of NB's online presence.
I don't want to have a bunch of temporary/incomplete or unilaterally conceived urls floating around.

I appreciate your initiative, please be patient.

p.s. nice signature

parasti wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't meaning it quite like that, just that we should be approaching this as a well thought out, longer term thing with a target (rather than dependency) of coinciding with a Neverball release (in order to increase the content of a release event).

A news feed might be a double edged sword. On one hand, it'd be great to show that there's some activity. On the other hand, it might just put unwanted pressure on us (unless we came up with something exciting and automated). Definitely worth pondering some more. It might even be interesting to do a monthly review of recent commits, forum activity and notable Nevertable replays though.

Stuff to ponder, I think.

ht-never: Tones raises a pretty important point. Unless you're trying to set up separate communities/sites from the ones we already have, letting search engines pick up on your testing stuff is likely to just make it harder for people to find us (and the last thing we want now is a fragmented community, right?).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

12 (edited by ht-never 2012-08-09 16:21:31)

tones wrote:

ht-never, please make sure if you put any 'demonstration' wikis or websites online that you implement a "no-index" mechanism. (ie robots.txt)

I'm working locally

~DEV

13 (edited by ht-never 2012-08-10 14:29:51)

UPDATE: Now NeverPress is able to add levelsets, have a page with name, download and description of levelsets, a page for each single levelset.
Implemented

• Comments

• Add levelsets

• Add blog posts

• Administration, and user roles

• Current design

Function to implement

• Integration with the forum

• Repository with upload of new files

• Upload replays

• Dynamic Home Page

• Viewer for mapcode

NB: We have to change the image title
http://s13.postimage.org/fdhdlj54n/Capture.png

~DEV

What is the current state of this project of a level repositories ?

I have some small amout of time at the moment, I wonder if I should work a bit for the neverball community. Are we planning to use a wordpress based system as ht-never proposed in his last post (it could be a good start point with less effort) or should I start a new site backend a we got a few years ago for the nevertable ?

15 (edited by ht-never 2012-09-04 17:35:38)

We are still waiting ideas and feedback from users and mappers. I think start a wordpress-based system is a good idea.

If you think that a Nevertable-based system is better, you can tell us your idea.

P.S.: Hey shino, can you help me to install the nevertable. when I launch the index.php, I get

Table 'nevertable_db.nvrtbl_conf' doesn't exist errno: 1146
~DEV

I don't know what is better, I don't hink so much about it yet, and as you said more feedback is needed.

As a first glance I'm not sure the level repository can be a blog-like site, but I don't know how much wordpress is modular / extensible to fit our needs and be used as a solid base.

What about the P.S.?

~DEV

ht-never wrote:

What about the P.S.?

I sent you a PM to avoid spamming this thread ;-)

Ok,  new Update: We have to give up with wordpress. I started a new project from scratch. This is the registering page:

http://s15.postimage.org/bkp4xzhm3/Capture.png

~DEV

What we need is too specific.
I've started a bit to think about something, I'm going to start code base getting some bits from nevertable and rewriting the main code from scratch.
We shouldn't start separetely, maybe we can share some tasks ?

21 (edited by ht-never 2012-09-10 18:08:27)

I attach all my works. This include the basic design and the login form.

1) Copy these file somewhere
2) Open Class/NbConnection.php
3) At line 10, edit sql settings
4) Launch ./install.php

Post's attachments

nblev.zip 146.28 kb, 79 downloads since 2012-09-10 

~DEV

22 (edited by ht-never 2012-09-10 18:18:13)

Edit: Are you on GitHub? Checkout: https://github.com/htnever/nblev.git

Edit, again... I failed to commit

~DEV

Nice.
I opened a github, with the very small beginning of implementation I made, maybe we could share there ?
http://github.com/shinodark/neverepo

Ok. I'm "htnever" on Git Hub.... I don't know how it work, but I think you may add me as "Contributor"

~DEV

Done :-)

You have started to code a registration page, but I think we should think deeper before implementing such part. Eventually the registration won't be necessary because we will use punbb authentification : it is be the better way to interact with current community database and we rely on spam protection (hmm...) of punbb registration process.

Then we need to think how the level repositories will be organize :
  - How the contributor will upload his new level in the repositroy,
  - How he organize a complete set from some levels he previsoulsy uploaded,
  - Do we handle a vote system on each level / sets to see which one are the most popular ?
  - Do we need comments on a level / a set ?
And so on...

I'd like the new site to be more "web 2.0" friendly, I mean with ajax-style behaviour and modern user interactions as it's done nowadays. I haven't coded in php for years so I'm not totally familiar with those new concepts but I know the basics and I'd like to learn to use them :-)