Topic: New courses for Neverputt

Does anyone have any new courses for Neverputt???

Re: New courses for Neverputt

Have you seen my 3-hole course? (It's downloadable on this forum!)

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

3 (edited by Intelp4 2012-04-30 23:23:00)

Could you make some more please!!!, make big courses, I love big courses.

I have about 4 holes, see in level contributions Freeland (it's a neverball set) but while you are reading posts you can see a downloadable neverputt set.

~DEV

Could you please link me to the download, thanks.

is not an unified set, are single maps! you can't download

~DEV

maybe i could make some other maps soon... i think i have the time to do this in the weekend

~DEV

That would be awesome.

I wish I could map out new courses but just can't understand how to.

It's very simple:
you need an editor, GTKRadiant or NetRadiant, and to learn a simple programming language. You can find information about coding here and about editor (fi geometry) here. Info about installation of Radiant here.

~DEV

It really isn't painfully difficult once you've installed radiant and begin playing around with it.  I remember thinking: "hmmm,  this is like playing with big lego blocks on the computer."   or something...  smile 

Of course you must remember it's like anything else you build from the ground up, whether its a car, a tool shed in the backyard, or even something virtual, such as putt putt holes in a computer game.  The quality and appeal of your course is very much related to how much time and effort you put into it.  If you think you're going to throw an 18 hole course together over the next few days, think again. 

You must be dedicated to the project, and willing to make that dedication long-term.  I know this contradicts my little lego analogy,  but don't just throw a bunch of blocks together and call it good.  We have seen mappers do this in the past and its just like....  after the first few holes it all starts to look like the same crap to me,  heh.  tongue

I highly recommend learning and using the curve tool.  It's a quick command-line app that will build more complex, multi-lump 'peices' based on numerical values and measurements you specify.  There are tutorials on this in the usual places...  I think was originally written by a member dave maybe 5-6ish years ago,  I can't remember for sure.  I think this was even built into netradiant recently, which is great because it makes it quicker and easier not having to use command-line.

Nonetheless,  using curves will really bring your course to life, and is well worth taking the time to learn.  If you look at the levels made by some of the more advanced mappers, you will see it is next to impossible finding a map that doesnt use curves.

Give it a try and see what you come up with...  I would bet that it seems a lot harder to you now, than it actually is.   smile

Widski is right... it's like a game... you'll need time and trying for learning the basic usage or the tool, but it's very simple to use... i think neverputt is a bit stronger talking about work than nb, that has no holes, etc. but it will be simple. the only one that vidski had to say is that you need to learn a little bit of code, for understand and fix manually some errors that can happer

~DEV

Vidski's advice is good.

I've only done a little mapping for Neverball (nothing serious), but I have done a bunch of mapping using similar tools to NetRadiant/GTKRadiant.

The principles involved aren't hard to learn, but if your work to appear polished, you will need to put effort in.

Play around with the tools available and get a feel for them. Making a few maps will teach you interesting and worthwhile skills even if you don't make a full Neverputt course.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

When I open GTKRadiant, it askes me to select game and neverputt or neverball is not listed.

You have to select "Quake III Arena", but you also need to follow these informations here, before start mapping.

~DEV

What's the difference between NetRadiant and GtkRadiant?

Not a huge amount. NetRadiant is a fork of GTKRadiant and generally accepted to be more developed/stable (at least, that's the understanding that I have - I'm certain there are a lot of people with a lot of opinions).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

They are two development tools:

gtk-> is stable
net-> is supported

~DEV

19 (edited by Cheeseness 2012-05-22 07:59:43)

They're asset editors rather than development tools (though I suppose technically they are a part of game development workflow). There are also various other forks and variations including DarkRadiant, AARadiant, all of which are, at some point along their lineage (as I understand it), derivatives of QERadiant.

You will find that the principles discussed here will apply to Neverputt levels as well as Neverball levels. In fact, almost all of the stuff linked to from the Level Creation page in the wiki is likely to be helpful smile

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I give up, it's way too complicated for me. I just can't do it, get way too frustrated.

21 (edited by vidski 2014-05-30 07:26:48)

no no no,  no giving up. I probably spent over a week reading tuts and learning the things necessary just to make the most basic test level.  Your 2 day attempt will not suffice!    tongue

Think of how proud of yourself you would be when you finally got it.  Of course you will get frustrated,  thats how I can tell you really do want to start making levels.  You ever get frustrated over something you really didn't care about?

If you are having trouble,  just post it.  Ask questions, describe the issue,  take screenshots,  copy outputs, don't be afraid to ask the smallest, most detailed, seemingly worthless question.  These guys here in the never-community are great.  As long as you keep trying,  they will go well out of their way to help you with even the smallest issue.  I love working with these dudes, wish I had a team like this at my regular daily job.    big_smile

Nobody expects you to be a pro mapper right out of the gate.  The entire process, from start to finish, is a learning experience. 

Take a look at my course for example...  The first 4 or 5 holes basically suck.  lol.  Simple as that.  I was a beginner, and you can tell I just pulled prefabricated curves right out of daves sample pack, and built the rest of the level around them.  Moving on to holes 6-10,  I begin to realize hmmmm, I'm kinda getting into the whole mapping thing...  I was becomming more comfortable using radiant, and it was time to learn to use the curve tool myself so that I could rely solely on my imagination for level ideas, and build them from scratch........  I'm sorta getting away from the point here I think.   hmm

Don't be afraid to ask questions.  If you give up, then you have allowed your frustrations to get the better of you.  Channel your frustrations, and re-focus them into the drive to figure it out.  If you can accomplish this,  mentally...   your mapping "problems" will instantly turn into mapping challenges.  Making neverputt levels will become 10x more fun for you than playing neverputt.

When was the last time I opened radiant and played around with some level ideas???
About 37 days ago.

When was the last time I actually played through a neverputt course??
..........    2008..ish...   maybe.... 

lol

vidski is right. This stuff does take more than a couple of days to wrap your head around.

It's really rewarding though and worth persevering with big_smile

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Widski is right... i was mapping manually for 2 years, before learning radiant

~DEV

Don't give up... I gave up when I was on the cusp of 'getting it'. Every time I cut a brush, I got 5 invisible brushes, that the ball would then hit. I'm sure with more practise and some guidance from other mappers, I would be able to make some higher quality levels. The biggest problem I had was removing 90 degree edge-meetings, to avoid Z-fighting/rendering glitches.

Whatever you do, don't give up ... you will regret it!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Learning to map is a pain...I used several other editors before Radiant.  Even setting radiant up to work with Neverputt can be a painful process.  But it's worthwhile.