I don't believe in fragmentation as a huge problem. The problem is when manufacturers make modifications and essentially screw up their Android build that causes inconsistencies across platforms, let alone their own devices.
For example, here's a post where the Droid 2 is not properly generating a unique ID--functionality that's expected when you're trying match devices uniquely. Here is a comment veryifying behavior I experienced, that the Cliq says it supports VBOs, but actually does not. I don't mean to say that only Motorola has problems (although I hate them), but they're the two examples springing to mind, out of probably a dozen more.
Android has a sophisticated, albeit complex, filtering mechanism in place. If developers designate that an app must use an accelerometer, then devices without an accelerometer can't download it, let alone install it. If you're a good developer, you'll flag your app with the appropriate features.
And if that's not enough, Google also just announced that you can blacklist installation on a per-device basis (which I think is terribly dumb).
ANYWAY. I've been playing the game practically nonstop and noticed that:
The game experiences a drastic framerate drop on any level with chrome textures, from fences to pathways
Levels with the space background (like the title screen) have a strange warped effect
I am hoping that rlk can shed some light on the chrome issue--I did a searched in the gles thread and found only one post identifying the problem. I find it interesting that I'm possibly the only one running the latest code on a strictly OpenGL ES device. The issues I'm detailing don't occur with any desktop builds I've tried on Linux and OS X.
I would really, really prefer not to omit levels or recompile maps. I think keeping as close to parity as the desktop version is essential. The more hacks introduced to work on Android, the harder it's going to be to maintain the code.