Re: Tones Levels (the thread formerly known as "level feedback?")

@dave: good stuff! can't wait to see what you come up with!

It's a taste i have acquired.

@tones: Do you still have your levels from v1.4.0? Coz if you do then I would like to try them out. smile

Thanks

All of tones' old levels are in 1.5.0, plus any improvements that have been done to them. (though you may have to use cheat mode for some of them)

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

Challenge Space Yard wrote:

All of tones' old levels are in 1.5.0, plus any improvements that have been done to them.

On the Neverwiki screenshots of tones' levels, there are time limits for all levels.
But on tones' levels now, the time limits and have been removed:

320x240

I'm supposing there was music on those levels as well. roll

As I mentioned when I reposted these, some of the metadata is missing. I will make an effort to clean that up.Some of the time limits for the newer levels will be approximate. Thanks for noticing.

131 (edited by tonesfrommars 2009-07-30 07:37:33)

Updated, refined and expanded existing levels, They now have time limits and highscores (music too!)
I've also added a few screenshots to the initial post at the TOP of this thread.
If you've already downloaded an earlier version, I suggest you trash the file neverballhs-tones so you can help me dial in the high score values. Thanks for testing!

@static, you can go ahead and lump these in with your zip archive.

@tones, nice!

It's a taste i have acquired.

133 (edited by Static Juice 2009-07-30 22:09:52)

Fantastic work tones! cool
Just 2 things though: The levels skiball and discs don't have any music with them because you forgot to add the text bgm/ before the song name in the metadata. wink
But don't worry, I've fixed it for my zip archive, which should be online fairly soon. ^^

Edit: Noticed something else: On the level easyian, the intro text reads "Collect 20 coins to unlock the goal", but the amount of coins you have to get to unlock the goal is 45.

134 (edited by parasti 2009-08-02 16:26:43)

Hey tones,

Sorry I haven't been posting any feedback;  that's the curse of a short attention span combined with other things to do.  I am keeping an eye on these updates, though.  Anyway, it's great to see your set brought back to life, with many new good-looking levels.  Too bad I didn't get to play any new levels in what I came to see as your trademark style, which I'm a big fan of:  massive colourfully textured adventure levels.  Oh well.  smile

I haven't closely seen all but one of the bonus levels, here's few comments on the rest:

• I had a lot of trouble with level 07 (skiball), difficulty wise I'd put it next to level 10 (not-so-easy).  Also, I'd swap 12 (swish) and 13 (city).

• There's a missing texture in the first bonus level.  It's on the way to the third switch:
    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7875/screen00001j.th.png

• Most of the time in level 14 (tonesmaze) I end up being hit by something at an extremely high speed, sending me off into space where I'd wait for 20 or so seconds for a fall out.  Typically this occurs when the floor shifts while I'm on a maze wall, but not when I'm on the X.  There should be a hint of this happening (e.g., "mtrl/caution" on the top of the walls) and the fall out should happen much, much sooner;  otherwise it feels more like a bug than an intended course of events.

It seems that the same thing happens if I move off a purple spot too soon, just when the floor shifts from red back to normal.

• The "blue-wave" material should have the transparent bit set, rather than opaque.  (I fixed this in trunk.)

parasti:

thanks for the encouraging feedback. Alas, the really expansive and highly detailed levels take so much time to construct and think of, it would take me 10 years to complete a set (instead of only 5 years!) Maybe I could take the smaller ones and "explode" them somehow.

I've noted your observations about progression of difficulty, thank you.

The maze level has been tricky to implement. After reading your comment, I thought of a better mechanism for the floor. It will involve use of detail lumps, and an invisible floor structure that doesn't actually "touch" the walls. I don't know why these ghost collisions from on top of the walls are happening (that's not intentional)

btw, can you think of a means to allow the mapper to determine the vertical "fallout" limit, even if it is higher than the lowest brush in the map? Or, alternatively, if the lowest brush moves downward during play below it's starting position, is the fallout point still determined by it's starting position? Or perhaps what I'm asking is: does a path corner figure into how the game determines where a fallout will occur?

Check out this thread:  fallout detection: how does it work ?

Here are a few of my ideas:

1.  Play the original sonic the hedgehog on SEGA16.  Lots of ideas there.
2.  Retour de Force 19, and twist it around into 3 dimensions, with a big
     jump at the end trying to land on a BIG target.
3.  Remember those old marble thingies, where you drop a marble in the
     top and watch if fall down through the holes.  I've done 100's of those
     as a kid, and some of them would make excellent neverball maps.
4.  Remember those magnetic track cars in the 70's and 80's?  Many of
     those would make great neverball maps.

Cool, thanks for sharing these:

1. I'm not familiar with sonic, but I'll see if I can find something on youtube to get the idea.

3. I think you're referring to "pachinco" machines? I have thought of that before, but I've never seen a level that involves falling straight down or at an angle that was fun because you just can't see where you're going. Be as specific as you can, or provide some pictures as example of exactly what you imagine...

4,  TDF 9 and RTDF 19 come to mind. Kind of like "Hotwheels"? One could design a similar level but with added loops and such.

I'll continue thinking about these ideas and let you know if I get started on any. Right now working on some new environment backgrounds.

Thanks!

protonspring wrote:

2.  Retour de Force 19, and twist it around into 3 dimensions

I tried to generate twists but without success.
I had exciting ideas on maps using such a feature.
If you could help solving this issue, it would be a great addition to Neverball's level design.

140 (edited by tonesfrommars 2010-12-23 23:07:45)

Ok, here's another round. I'm up to 20 levels now. I've done lots of fine tuning and added eye-candy to many of the levels that have been in the set for a while. 2 brand spanking new levels which I'm quite pleased with. One is a racetrack which borrows significantly from mym's race course level. I'm not going to be able to work on these for a while, so I thought I'd throw them out there for people to enjoy and also to garner some more feedback which helps me get powered up to keep working on these.

[see my next post for link, or first post in thread]

I recommend tossing any older versions of this set that you might have and please junk your tones-hs file if you don't mind so I can get your help with time and coin values.

NOTE: There's most likely an obvious explanation for this, but I'm not having luck getting the set to load in 1.5.4.
My build of r3366 and Nuncabola are handling it just fine. ?? Has mapc changed much since then? I tried compiling using the data folder from 1.5.4 but it still doesn't like the .sol files.

ENJOY!!

bump
hotwheels

Good stuff, tones, glad as always to see new levels from you!

tonesfrommars wrote:

NOTE: There's most likely an obvious explanation for this, but I'm not having luck getting the set to load in 1.5.4.
My build of r3366 and Nuncabola are handling it just fine. ?? Has mapc changed much since then? I tried compiling using the data folder from 1.5.4 but it still doesn't like the .sol files.

SOL file format did change to include orientations of path_corners (angles).  While SVN SOLs won't load with 1.5.4, 1.5.4 SOLs will load with an SVN build.  So as long as you don't use rotating lumps, you can compile your maps with mapc from 1.5.4 and have the SOLs work in both kinds of builds.

Thanks parasti:

Now I'm up to speed. I had also forgotten that I needed to include a couple newer textures that aren't in 1.5.4. This should do it for everybody. Hopefully, when I get around to finishing the set I will have some good ideas for use of rotating lumps and then I can forget about backwards compatibility.

DOWNLOAD tones-2010.zip (4.1 MB)

You are a legend tones! cool
Maybe when there are 25 levels, this set could get included in the official package, after a few polish-ups. smile

Levels look very good, and very polished.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Here are my thoughts:

Level 1: good.

Level 2: I usually fall out at the last part
But I did win this level. smile

Level 3: It's fun getting the blue coins.

Level 4: I miss how it was like when the floor made you ''JUMP.''

Level 5: I just don't know what to say.

Level 6: I noticed that in this updated version it's harder to get to the very top & it's easier to go the normal way.

Level 7: Cool! how did you do it?

Level 8: I always fallout on the spiky part.

I will show more of my thoughts when I get to the other levels.

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

Thanks for your comments.

Level 4: I miss how it was like when the floor made you ''JUMP.''

I found that the bumps made for an easy shortcut in that you could just jump over the rails (you can still do this, but it's a little trickier now)

Level 8: I always fallout on the spiky part.

I think this level will end up being moved later in the set, as it represents something of a leap in the difficulty curve.

Hey tones,

Sorry I haven't commented on your latest update to the set. Part of the reason for this is laziness, the other part is that I played through it with a gamepad and got stuck on a level half-way through (bumperoo.map)... so also laziness. Anyway, just wanted to go on record saying that IMO this set is totally ready for SVN. I would commit it myself, but I recall you had your own plans regarding this, so I leave that up to you.

Hey, that's great news.
Thank you.

I have a few factors to consider and I'm not sure about the best way to handle it:

1. I know the set will be changing still: order, some architecture as I work on the remaining levels and I know that you like to have the ability to make releases without having to consult with a bunch of people. So maybe this means if I introduce them to the repo they should be in a branch for now?

2. I wouldn't want to litter the timeline with a bunch of commits for my levelset as I work on it. BUT, I would like them to be easily available in their most current form as I progress for when I need opinions and feedback here and there.

3. Realistically, it could take me as long as another year to really get this thing completed.

So, I'm thinking put the set in a branch and make periodic commits.
Does that seem like the best approach for now?

149 (edited by parasti 2011-02-19 02:10:13)

A branch would not really provide what I'm going for. A branch in SVN mostly serves as a more formal place for stuff to be forgotten at (did I really just say that out loud... oops). I'm kind of looking for the opposite for this set: exposure, scrutiny and generally just not being forgotten.

Let's break it apart a bit. There's two things here, 1) quality and 2) completeness. Your set meets the quality standard of Neverball, which automatically makes it trunk- and release-worthy. I don't think the state of completeness should be a major factor in this.

(FWIW, I do remember Elviz's concerns about being unable to add/reorder levels in Nevermania without breaking highscore files, and I do still plan to fix that.)

ok, I follow.

I will find some time to tweek the set order slightly and address any coin-related issues, then I'll throw it up there.
btw, I've done alot of cool little refinements since my last zip upload.