Re: Tones Levels (the thread formerly known as "level feedback?")

Hi Paul,
sorry to waste your time on this, it's a Mac issue.
I'm working on disabling the "DS_store" creation for these folders,
maybe just an unzipped .tar will work.
I'll post here when I get it resolved.

102 (edited by paul 2006-02-07 03:28:00)

well, i finally got everything unpacked and running. the levels look super. 'easyone' seem to have a neverputt feel/look to it, i like it!

i was wondering what .DS_store was, as it was 1 of the only 3 files extracted

in the end, us xp users are extracting from .tars anyway

Edit: Oh yeah, tones, i wanted to ask you about something. i have to admit that i still have the first version of 'runner' and play it often. would you be offended if i included that version in my "favorites from forum-philes" (alliteration is fun) set? if i can get up to 25 levels, it could be released, otherwise it will stay an unofficial set of my favorite levels.

It's a taste i have acquired.

103 (edited by Dave 2006-02-07 03:44:13)

what in .tar-nation is wrong with your zip file? Just kidding... Though, I also had to do the paul workaround (extracting from within the archive directly). I also checked out the levels and I have 2 words : really great!

I also have a few more words about each level, if you care to hear them. If not, skip the rest of this post. tongue
Level 1 - fun idea. I like the teleporters/gaining speed idea, but I also think you should carry it further. Too small (especially in comparison to all of your others levels!)
Level 2 - Now this was a lot of fun. I felt like I was riding waves - it's a great idea and you've done a good job keeping variety in it as well.
Level 3 - I really like the texturing changes and extra coins. This level is really, really good looking.
Level 4 - Wonderfully challenging, and I like your addition of jump "nodes" (ala basketball level) to get the blue coins. The texturing on this one is really great, too.
Level 5 - You've made a lot of changes on this one since I last played it. I like all of them, except for the big worn-out board/crate lid that you bounce off of... It looks so out of place amid the fancy, shiny textures... Maybe if you used your nice new wood texture? You removed a lot of possibilities for shortcuts, but there are still lots left over! Nice!

Best times :
Level 01 - 6'69" replay
Level 02 - 9'28" replay
Level 03 - ???? (haven't really tried one yet)
Level 04 - 29'95" replay
Level 05 - 17'46"replay

I'll post replay links here in a minute... if anyone want to see them.

Edit : Okay, some are posted.

Cool..!

I fixed the .tar-rible problem with that archive.
I never knew this before, but apparently since OSX, Macs have become machinae non grata on mixed networks
because they write DS_store files and resource fork files all over the place.
I had to find an opensource software to selectively disable this function in my FTP client.

Anyway, the tarball unzips and extracts just fine now on a PC.

oh, and Paul.. DS_store is a Macintosh convention (introduced with OSX)
"DS_Store files are created by the Finder to store information about directories and files including viewing options and icon positions."
This info used to be kept in a desktop database, but is now written in it's own little "invisible" file.

You guys devoured those levels pretty quickly.

Good notes, I agree about the ugly barn-door. Maybe it should be another "caution"-rimmed window pane like the one in the jump...?

I'm going to check out your replays now...

tonesfrommars wrote:

You guys devoured those levels pretty quickly.

Well, it's like putting candy in front of my 4 year boy - chomp chomp! mmm!

Yes, the caution-rimmed pane of glass would be good, or even a panel of chrome/brass...

i knew about the resource forks (because python has to copy that information separately), but not the DS_store

I like to think of it like a child at christmas...we already know what you got us, and we're desperate to play with it!

I also agree with Dave about the first level, it is much less substantial than the rest of the levels and leaves you wanting more

Wow!  I'm amazed with the T05 replay..!
You hit a bull's eye nailing that tiny yellow jump pad after a high speed tube-bounce.
Jeez.
The T02 replay has me wondering if I should do away with the short-cut you found.
(only because I'd love to see what you guys would come up with to speed your way around the whole course..)
But perhaps that's one for the new fastest unlock category wink

That first level was started as part of my effort to make a "super-easy" set by remixing some of the easy levels.
Maybe it belongs in the "easy2" set, otherwise, I agree it could be elaborated.
I'm striving to get the knack of making levels that are less sprawling, a little more to the point, but still engaging.
There's more of an art to it than I would have imagined before making a hobby out of this game.

I'd be fine if you wanted to include the first "freestyle friendly" version of "runner" in your compilation set.
I don't actually have that old map anymore.
I would like to have you to send it to me so I can fix some of the texturing problems, and beef up some of the platforms so it looks better,
but preserving the layout. Does that sound agreeable?

i've put a link to the original runner.map on my site (it's easier than trading emails)

there's also a link to some freestyle replays of your level 2, just playing around really

Nice replays, dude.. cool

I'm un-stickying this thread, as your set is now on the "All Contributed Levels" thread.

I also wanted to ask, would you like me to create any edge/edge2 textures for your new turfs? I could also do a very easy coins texture for your purple-checked if you send me the original texture(s) you used for it. (I have templates, of a sort, that I use in Corel Photo-paint SE - an archaic, but useful program. I also use the gimp, but since I used photo-paint for so long, I can do most everything much quicker in it.)

Yes, unsticky away!

You are definitely psychic Dave.
I spent an hour this afternoon reworking the purple check texture to include coin pads.
I didn't quite finish with it, then I was going to tackle making the edge texture combining with turf-grey.

Since I am revamping the basic texture a bit, I will follow through with the coin pads, but would be stoked if you could plug in the edge version.
Wait until I finish reworking the basic texture, however. It will be slightly different than the one in my level package.
(this means I'll need to ask one of you guys to swap it out with the one which I think you may have added already to the repository.)
thanks

No prob. Just let me know when you are finished with it, and I'll work up the edge textures, and update the repository. We have a really expanded texture selection now - it's really great!

I know it is a long while, but I couldn't resist posting this anyway.

1: This is fairly easy. Good practice measure.
2: Not so hard, but I am not exceptional at freestyle, so I had to follow the normal path on most parts. Good level.
3: Almost had it on this level. Good design.
4: Doesn't look possible to beat on my side. Nice though.
5: Definitely can't beat. Probably never will beat. I also caught some Z-Fighting just where the ball starts.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

115 (edited by scrawl 2008-09-22 13:23:13)

I know this is old but...
Very very nice levels smile
I almost got Level 3, but then i was so nervous that I fell out hmm
Good work!

116 (edited by tonesfrommars 2009-02-07 17:32:38)

Hey Mym.. (or Dave, Shino)

Since you've just updated the levelset contributions sticky post, would you mind removing my level set?
I've got it mostly updated to meet 1.5 conventions and I'm adding some more levels, but my download link still contains the old 1.4 version, and I
d prefer not to create any confusion for new players seeking additional level sets. I'll make a note on this thread once you've taken it down and will make some noise here when I've got the new one up.

Thanks!

Sure! It's done.
Just keep me informed when I can add something again wink

118 (edited by tonesfrommars 2009-07-16 04:00:56)

Ok, guys..

Here is the new version of my set. It now contains 18 levels. Some are stronger than others.
@mym, I think we can still wait to add this to the sticky thread since I'm trying to push forward and get it finished, plus I'd like some feedback from the regulars before putting it up, since I'll probably be making lots of little changes.

I hope you enjoy them, let me know what you think!

download link: tones.tar.gz

Edit: P.S. see top of thread for more details on the archive and how to install for anyone new to the game.

Nice levels you got there tones! smile

Here are my opinions:

hurdles: Great level to start with, could be a bit bigger though.
easyian: Fun level, it's basically just an extended and modified version of Neverball Easy Lv1. neutral
canals: Nice looking level, a bit too easy though.
marble: Good concept, but those thin white lines on the floor are irritating. D:
easyone: Quite simple, it would be nice if you could add the music to it. roll
swoop: This level is a bit too easy, maybe you should increase the amount of coins you need to collect.
skiball: This one's alright. tongue
discs: This level looks stunning, and it's fun too. ^^
waves: Awesome! cool You should make another level with this kind of concept.
not-so-easy: This level is annoying. D:
leaps: This level's a bit too small I think. hmm
swish: Fun concept, I love the look of the swishing platforms! smile
city: The motion of the platforms is brilliant tones! ^^
tonesmaze: Cool! cool More maze levels please! big_smile
check: Wow! This level is big, and hard, and fun! tongue
bigtube: Pretty good. smile
twisted: My 2nd favourite level (so far wink). The path could be a little more curved though. hmm
runner: My favourite level of them all! Keep up the great work tones! ^^

I think it's awesome that you started some work on the levels again!

The .tar.gz is not already drag-n-drop-able, I believe. I converted it to a .zip that can be dropped in the data folder (svn version), and I put it online:
tonesfrommars.zip

And again I have that feeling when I'm going to play some previously unknown NB levels big_smile .

121 (edited by paul 2009-07-16 20:06:10)

yay, tones's levels are back!

and i can still do my favorite shortcut www.corgiorchard.com/paul/tones-IV_01SHORTCUT.nbr

... didn't finish it this time, but you get the idea.

now if i can just find time to redo mine...

wow, Paul. That's a cool shortcut. I don't mind leaving that one in (and I'm sure there are many many others)

Thanks Nue for repackaging. Let me know if you'd like me to host that zip and I will.

Static juice, thanks for your comments

tones: i know of three, but i'm working on a couple more - i always try to find as many as i can smile

i think i'll make a collection of my freestyle replays in the near future...

Did I hear mention of shortcuts, freestyle, and levels by tones? I gotta get in on this action!!!:D

125 (edited by Static Juice 2009-07-18 02:41:07)

Dave wrote:

Did I hear mention of shortcuts, freestyle, and levels by tones? I gotta get in on this action!!!:D

Yeah Dave! Come and get in on the action! tongue