Re: Tones Levels (the thread formerly known as "level feedback?")

Good job, macmeister.
It's pretty hard to get all the way to the end.
I'm hesitant to shorten the time, because when you try to collect all the coins on the blue platform it's a tight squeeze.
However, I'm sure some master player would eventually show that it could be done quicker than I imagined.

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/neverfo4/public_html/fmpbo/include/parser.php on line 811

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/neverfo4/public_html/fmpbo/include/parser.php on line 814

Blue Coins? Blue Platforms?

I only saw a single blue coin - maybe I was not looking hard enough  smile

I was expecting a lot less than 32 seconds when I reached the goal!

Also, the version I have installed is 0 coins to unlock the goal. With such a fast speed required to make the goal, maybe coin collecting shouldn't be required at all ?!?

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Oh!
You're talking about "check"
"runner" is the one with the tubes and the big leap at the end.

Yeah, I'm still adding some bounce pads to the upper parts of "check",
so time has yet to be nailed down, thanks for the input.
I could place a few extra coins in the air to grab while riding the moving cross platform perhaps.

Sounds like you made pretty good time to have 30 seconds left.

My Apologies, I thought because of the "need for speed" that this was runner  smile

I will try your others out as well if they are as good as this!

Cheers!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

I did a great shortcut in the beginning part of your "check" level... Normally it takes about 50 secs to get to the second switch(if you stay on the given path), but I was able to shortcut and trigger it in about 32 secs. I then went on for a ways in the level, but tried a mondo jump and it didn't work at all. I saved the replay, if you're interested...

I'd love to see it, email it to me..?
I wish I had time to mess with Neverball, I'm up to my eyes with Finale work.
Too many hours at the computer already..

Sure, I'll email it to you.
Good luck with all that Finale stuff. Everytime I try to use that program, I get frustrated over how ridiculously convoluted it is to do something really simple and easy.

For example, let's say you write out several chords written choral 4-part style. But, in order to play them, all of the tenor notes will have to be in the right hand - so, if you want to make it easier to read/play, trying to move the tenor notes to the upper clef is a huge pain. I always end up just completely rewriting it.

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/neverfo4/public_html/fmpbo/include/parser.php on line 811

83 (edited by tonesfrommars 2006-02-06 22:48:49)

I've been at it again,
Here is a wacky level that needs testing.

Dave, I borrowed the spirals directly from your latest curve demo map,
and of course the final jump is straight out of tuxmym's "narrow.map"

use the manual camera while in the glass elevator to catch a look around.

[link removed]

EDIT: this level now included in tones-levels set
Download here

84 (edited by Dave 2006-01-22 00:41:22)

oooh... looking forward to this! Downloading now... Will post thoughts soon!

EDIT: Here are my thoughts:
This level is super cool! Wow, it's pretty hard too! The spiral at the beginning is a little long... Gets a little tedious when having to restart over and over again. Fortunately, I found a couple of ways to skip the spiral ( you know how I love to find shortcuts!), and I managed to finish the level in just under 53 seconds. It's a really well designed level. There are a couple of places where I saw funny texture issues(I'll try to take some screen shots later), and I have a suggestion for the "elevator" :

Instead of using just the one switch for the cycle, it might be better to use two. The timed one on the way up could open a "roof" on the elevator to let you in - don't get there fast enough, you can't get in! However, I'd suggest having a switch inside the elevator itself to start the thing moving. This does two things: it allows to the player to keep progressing immediately (no sitting around waiting for the first timer to finish, frustrating), and it allows the player to try again, if he/she fell off on the way to the elevator, and recovered enough to hit the switch again and try to get to the elevator again(it happened to me, and I just waited around for a long time for the switch to reset, so I could hit it again, but it never did!).

That's all I have to say - really great level!

Oh yeah, on the way up on the big spiral, as you approach the middle/skinniest portion, there is a brief moment when you can't see the ball at all because of the proximity of the track just above it... I'm not sure what could be done to fix it, but it is very disconcerting to be going around on a progressively skinnier curve and not be able to see the ball for a second or so.

Nice work! You have a real knack for beautiful texturing : the opening platform is really nice to look at!

85 (edited by Dave 2006-01-22 02:50:29)

Ahhh.... I found the ultimate technique for this level: under 30 secs! It's pretty hard, but I finally did it! If you'd like to see the replay, just let me know.

Edit : bad grammar fixed

i'd love to see it, Dave

haven't finished the level yet but good work tones!

It's a taste i have acquired.

Thanks guys..

Dave you are absolutely right on about the switches and the elevator.
I will correct that soon. Also, I agree about the spiral being too long.
I guess I will eventually have to get in there and actually generate a more appropriate curve (or an abbreviated one at least).
I will be able to make one that is a bit steeper, and it won't have that visibility issue.

Please send me a replay (or two)

btw.. I have very much enjoyed your replay collection from your neverball page.
there are some tough times to beat, (and the ski-jump one where you balanced on top of the pole blew my mind!)

All right, for anyone who wants to see them: 2 replays

Just make sure that you have a copy of twisted.sol in a folder called "map-tones" (data/map-tones), and you should be able to watch them.

(btw, tones: thanks for the comments on my replays - the ski-jump pole one is one of my favorites, too!)

Dave, all of your replays are awesome. if i ever have time to create more levels i'll anxiously wait to see what shortcuts you find (it's a big if at the moment though)

Tones, i agree with Dave about the elevator, but i actually like it when surfaces obscure the ball. it's not even a problem in this level if you remember to rotate the camera a little.

Thanks paul! I hope you do find the time to make some more! I really have enjoyed the levels you've come up with so far. Speaking of which, I've got a couple of fun replays of one of your levels that I should post... I'll do it in the thread that is for your levels, though.

91 (edited by tonesfrommars 2006-02-06 22:51:31)

I just spent ALL day making changes to "twisted.map"
I've implementd the suggestions from Dave and Paul, and I've included some of my own textures I've been working on.
Here's a link to an archive containing the level "twisted" and all of my textures to date.
All the textures but two are used in the level.
I'm sure there will be some more small bugs to resolve, but for now I'm very happy with it.
As usual, any feedback is welcome.

[link removed]

EDIT: This level now included in tones-levels set.
Download here

those marble textures near the start are really nice!

i haven't got the hang of the down ramp to the elevator yet, but i'm working on it...

Wow, I love your new textures, tones! They are gorgeous! And I love the changes you made to the level. Your new spiral is perfect. I love the midway jump in it, too. I can't figure out how one is supposed to get those blue coins on top of that one curve, though. (It's kind of embarassing, since I'm the self-declared freestyle king...) Just what is the strategy for getting those coins?

All in all, this is a fantastic level.

paul, my advice is this: definitely use the manual camera when you get to that downward part of the spiral. on chase cam, I fall off almost every time, but with manual, it gives you all little more control over where the ball is going.

I'm glad you guys like the level.
I have to say I'm proud of the marble textures in particular.
It took me lots of trial and error to learn how to manipulate the images and shadings to get the effect I was after.
I made a turf-purple checked texture that will go nicely with your purple one(s) I think, and a non-reflective version of the white marble
for use vertically and up off the ground.

There's no secret to getting the blue coins.
I jumped up there by accident while working on the big ramp/loop. So I just stuck those coins up there on an impulse.
I will work at it and capture a replay when I get it. (It may be too hard to leave in)
I think I can blame it on your freestyle training levels. big_smile

i've got that down ramp figured out now. i was foolishly trying to make the turn in one fluid motion instead of keeping the floor level and going slow.

tonesfrommars wrote:

There's no secret to getting the blue coins.
I jumped up there by accident while working on the big ramp/loop. So I just stuck those coins up there on an impulse.
I will work at it and capture a replay when I get it. (It may be too hard to leave in)
I think I can blame it on your freestyle training levels. big_smile

I'm glad to know the FTC is having an effect on people...
I tried running down the platform to get a bounce off of the square drop-down opening(to then bounce back to the coins), but I was going too fast, and had to resort to calling out "Geronimo!!!" (I usually say either that, or "goodbye, cruel world!" when I try for a big jump or trick and it goes awry. Way better than "Fallout." Hmm, maybe we should add a "Geronimo!" option to the game... the trick is, it has to be called out as soon as it is realized there is no hope of recovery. Perhaps rlk's predictive physics can be coaxed to look far ahead enough to know when it's hopeless...) tongue

OK guys, I put together a package of my levels.
There are 5  now, and I went all out revamping/renovating the existing ones.
Paul and Dave, let me know what you think of the improvements on the levels you've already played.
I hope I didn't screw anything up.

Download here

Wow, tones! I am excited to try these out! Sounds great! I will post again after I check it all out...

nota bene..

I just discovered a mistake in my levels file.
It's corrected, so if you 've downloaded the set before this post, grab it again and replace only the "levels-tones.text" file.

100 (edited by paul 2006-02-07 02:37:06)

i'm having problems extracting the files from the .tgz. only 3 of the files are extracted no matter what i do

i'll try some different things and update the situation

Edit: ok, power archiver (my nemesis) could only extract three files, and when i use 7zip it can't extract the whole thing, but it appears that i can extract the contents of each individual folder of the .tar, so i guess that's what i'll do

i don't know why this is happening. anyone else experiencing this?