1

Topic: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

You can grab first release of the new set of Tuxmym here : http://shinobufan.free.fr/nevertable/se … et.tar.bz2

To try it, uncompress archive. You may adjust the MAPC and DATADIR variables in Makefile. Then run :

$ make
$ make install

That should do the trick wink
Post all your comments here !

2 (edited by Tuxmym 2005-05-01 11:13:48)

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

I'm waiting your comments about everything concerning my set like :
- difficulty
- levels order
- times/coins to beat
- max time per level
- coins number to unlock goal
- suggestions...

I hope you'll enjoy my levels !

Here is all the modifications (updated frequently) I've done, I'll do or I'm asking if I should do on my beta set, please react if you don't agree :

legend : players position asked, what I've done on my local set, changes I'll do

All levels:
- improved the JPEG shots quality

Levels:
1.
- changed the wood texture to a green one
- removed the white arrows

2.
- swap with the level 3 ?
- changed the chrome texture to the blue one
- replaced blue paths by thiner and more transparent ones

4. swap with the level 6 ?

5.
- swap with the level 7 ?
- removed the little blue square
- applied a "dark glass" texture on the poles on the external faces and keep the chrome texture for the internal faces
- applied a texture under the center square (under the coins)

6.
- made it harder: less time
- use better plank texture (provided by rlk)

7. reduce the unlock time of triggers (the red protections) ? (suggested by Shino)

8. removed it and made another one. Its done !

9. new coins count to unlock goal: 60

10.
- new coins count to unlock goal: 15
- made short times possible

13. correct some display bugs: cannot do anything

14.
- swap with the level 15
- added a tip info for the last jump

15. scaled up the rainbow texture to the coin-rainbow size

16.
- cannot increase the number of lumps in the upper areas because I've got index overflows, this level has to many lumps
- removed the crush system

17. make it harder ? (suggested by ufx)

18.
- removed the face
- thiner the skeleton of the pusher
- lengthened the level
- increased the goal count to 50

19. new coins count to unlock the goal: 150

20. replace the poles by a vertical chrome OBJ rail (provided by rlk)

21. more coins to unlock goal ? (suggested by ufx)

22.
- move this level closer in the set
- added NO blue markers because the coins in this level can already do this same function

23. replaced the big column by a blue path

3

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

Whoo cool!  I'm going to test it immediately and I hope to give some comments soon.

4

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

Downloading now... Cannot get it fast enough :-)

themacmeister

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

5 (edited by canuck 2005-04-24 01:02:48)

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

Ok, since most people already got it, I'll try to post my first views of the the first 12 levels. I'll reserve the rest for later.

First, I must say you have very clever ideas for this set, and from what I saw, if this is added to Neverball, it will be a great 1.5 version.

I particularly like 'La Danse Asiatique', very funny lol

On a side note, you should probably improve the quality of the screenshots of the levels, specially the first one looks a little blurry...

Here is my analysis level by level, I'll try not to spoiler anyone, so if you've not finished levels until 12, don't read this post smile


1:
- difficulty: easy level, reminds me of the M25 twist at first (interesting point, pick up something from where you left off smile )
- times/coins to beat: for a first level is fine to only take the first yellow coins. Time is ok too.
- suggestions: none, it's perfect

2:
- difficulty: acceptable.
- levels order: harder than previous, ok
- times/coins to beat: it's acceptable
- suggestions: well, having to wait for the first ride is not common, but it's fine.

3:
- difficulty: I don't care, this level is fun by it's originality, although I have no idea how to get the coin smile
- times/coins to beat: if I had to eat the coin to unlock the goal it would be very hard
- suggestions: none, it's perfect!

4:
- difficulty: I don't know why you put this here really, this is a very difficult level, it took me minutes to end this one. the following levels are much easier than this one. Consider a change further down on this one.
- times/coins to beat: acceptable, otherwise it would be too easy
- max time per level: ok
- suggestions: if you're thinking in a progressing dificulty scale, put this after 10

5:
- difficulty: another interesting level, quite interesting to finish
- levels order: ok
- times/coins to beat: acceptable
- suggestions: there's a blue square floating, did you leave it there by accident?

6:
- difficulty: the easiest level on the set?
- levels order: move it further up maybe?
- times/coins to beat: easy to finish, no real difficulty? Is this one finished?
- suggestions: Nice textures, but compare this one to level 4 : everyone should be able to finish this one easily.

7:
- difficulty: good hand-eye-memory training, nice level
- levels order: acceptable
- times/coins to beat: the triggers have acceptable timing, you just have to be accurate directing the ball, good work.
- suggestions: the only one I could do is to enlarge the circle and add more points, but maybe that would make it much more harder to complete

8:
- difficulty: it was no easy task to get the desired coins.
- levels order: difficult level, harder than 9 for instance...
- times/coins to beat: time is ok, coins is a little complicated, but ok smile
- suggestions: nothing that wouldn't either make the level very difficult or very easy hmm

9:
- difficulty: easy. hard if you increase the coin count
- coins number to unlock goal: increase this one, otherwise this level should be moved up.
- suggestions: did you used a script to create the sphere?

10:
- difficulty: I don't know what else to say, very nice. Not easy to adapt to the moving, great challange smile
- levels order: ok
- times/coins to beat: I finished it with 2 seconds left, it was very close. Good for pressure on the player. smile
- coins number to unlock goal: acceptable, although 2 or 3 more wouldn't hurt
- suggestions: none, it's good as it is smile

11:
- difficulty: great concept, nice work
- levels order: maybe simpler than 10, but I'm ok with it.
- times/coins to beat: good
- max time per level: pressure, pressure smile
- suggestions: I'd like it bigger, but it's ok smile

12:
I haven't yet finished this level as of the time of this post. I could have, if the number of coins were less by 15-20. Very hard to finish. Somehow your level 12 are always very hard smile

I don't like to suggest to make a level easier just because I don't have the ability to finish it. But I'd like to know how you did it.

That's all for now smile
Great work Tuxmym!

6

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

I've taken a look at all of these and I'll go down the line and try to comment on each.  I'll put some more time into them in the near future, just to see what it takes to beat each one.

In general, this is fantastic work.  Some of these are just brilliant.  There are a few places where I'd suggest tweaks, and a couple that I just flat-out don't like, but I'll try not to let my personal tastes get in the way. These levels are technically flawless, of course, so there are no complaints there.  In some cases I think the solution is not obvious, and that's okay, except where more information is given in French than in English.  Sorry, we can't have that.

I encourage everybody to try these levels and really discuss the details.  MYM's first level set took several weeks to produce, and we traded dozens and dozens of emails in that time.  Discussion definitely leads to better levels, so the more opinions expressed here, the better this work will turn out.  Criticism helps, so say what you think.

01: Great level.  Really fun, and somewhat easier than it initially looks.  I think there's a little too much wood texture here.  We should probably come up with some new texture themes soon.  This level would benifit from a fresher look.

02: Another great one.  A real technical challenge.  I don't think the chrome texture works very well on big horizantal surfaces, as it was meant for detailed or finely tessalated geometry.  Maybe another new texture would look good there.

03: Perfect.  Do not touch.  This level really took me by surprise.  Strikingly original concept.

04: Cool idea.  Well executed.  Perfect.

05: Another surprise.  Great idea.  Hard.  In many cases the poles block the view, but they look so cool reflected in the floor like that.  Maybe it needs a change, maybe it's good.

06: I'm not a huge fan of racetrack levels, but I admit they're a nice alternative.  If you're want to copy Kart's haunted house track you might as well throw in a castle model.  Where did the wood texture come from?  If you need or want textures, let me know, as I think visual consistency is a crucial part of a polished appearance for the game as a whole.

07: Good stuff.  Fairly tough.  Thematically fits with some of MYM's other work, which is important.  I suggest no change.

08: I hate half-pipes.  I'll refrain from commentary on this one.

09: Neat concept.  Unfortunately I think the Neverball physics engine is not really capable of living up to it.  I'm not sure what to say about this one, except that it's visually a bit bland and it's not challenging enough to deserve to sit along side most of the other levels in this set.

10: Brilliant.  Fantastic.  Perfect.  Do not change.

11: Great great level.  Perfect.

12: This one is tough.  I like it a lot, but we should only allow one level like this to exist.  Once you've spent this nickel you can't spend it again.  Keep it as is.

13: I love this one.  I wish that glass didn't have to be there, but I recognize that it's necessary.  Good level.

14: This one is very much a MYM level.  I get frustrated and annoyed by this type of stuff, but I'll accept it on the grounds that "rlk likes it" is not a necessary attribute for a level to have.

15:  Another Kart race.  Ok.  I do kindof feel like complaining about the Thwomps.  Crushers were the first item I added to the "do-not-do-this" list in the initial mapping documentation.  It seems to work fairly well here, if you're willing to allow the ball to pass through the track.  Great job on the shadow though.  It's a subtle yet necessary effect.

16: This is another one that can't quite be fully served by the Neverball physics engine.  The beginning is great.  I spun the cone a few times and marveled at how smoothly and easily the ball came up off the bottom.  That in-and-of itself is worthy of inclusion in SOME level.  Can the number of lumps in the upper areas of the cones be increased?  I'd just like it to be a bit less chaotic at the top.

17: Ugh.  Playing this level I felt as though I had been utterly deprived of all control.  I really feel the player must be solidly in control at all times.  A level should test the players ability to control the ball, not the player's ability to ACQUIRE control of the ball.  This level is long and complex, and I like that a lot, I just did not have any fun playing it.

18: Another MYM-esque pusher.  That's cool, that's his style.  Is the face on the glass really necessary?  I found it popping in and out and conflicting with the near clipping plane, which was a bit distracting.

19: Great level.  My only comment is: raise the goal coin count.  Force the player down into those holes.

20: Nice.  Tough.  Generally very good.  The blue texture does not look good on the poles.  Maybe a vertical chrome OBJ rail would look nice there, all smooth and rounded.  I'll model it if you like.

21: Not my kind of level.  Technically fine.  Keep as is.

22:  This is odd.  I didn't get it until I realized it's just a coin-grab.  I suggest adding some of your blue blocks to this level in order to make the motion of the platform more obvious.

23: Overall this is a fine level, but is the column in the middle necessary?  It's an anti-cheating measure?  Is cheating really so bad?

24: I question whether 20 seconds is a reasonable cut-off.  I recognize this is meant to be a very difficult time trial.  I guess that's pretty good.  Again, I like this style.  This is the coolest racetrack level ever.

25: This I like.  Very very difficult.  Just an absolute test of skill.  No flying, zooming, bouncing ball, just a slow, ponderous, steady-hand challenge.  Perfect.

7

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

Well, I used to hack access to levels, back when 1.2.x was new, but I haven't since 1.3.0... but now I *wish* I still did. As with all of tuxmym's levels, they can look surprisingly easy, and actually be incredibly hard, and like level 1 of mym2, they can look impossible, but actually be quite simple...

I love them so far (the 2 levels I have seen) but will continue doing the levels 'LEGIT' and see how far I get.

PS. I finally got throught level 20 on original mym set (0.21 seconds to spare) and almost through level 21, so things are going OK for me and my neverballing.

themacmeister

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

8

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

canuck wrote:

[...] First, I must say you have very clever ideas for this set, and from what I saw, if this is added to Neverball, it will be a great 1.5 version.

Thx ^^, I hope too.

>On a side note, you should probably improve the quality of the screenshots of the levels, specially the first one looks a little blurry...
I agree, but I've followed the instructions provided by rlk and I do not understand why the quality is worse than in other sets.

>4 - suggestions: if you're thinking in a progressing dificulty scale, put this after 10
Ok, I'll think about putting this one further in the set

>5 - suggestions: there's a blue square floating, did you leave it there by accident?
Yes ^^ thank you

>6 - suggestions: Nice textures, but compare this one to level 4 : everyone should be able to finish this one easily.
I must explain myself about this level and the 15th one: one of my favorite game ever was Mario Kart on SNES and I particulary love 2 courses of this game: Ghosts Valley and Rainbow Road. I've tried to make a replication of these levels and be as close as possible. I know the difficulty is not really high. If several players find these levels to be too easy or too borring, I'll change them by including some difficulties. I could remove 1 lap too.

>9: - coins number to unlock goal: increase this one, otherwise this level should be moved up.
>- suggestions: did you used a script to create the sphere?
Ok, I'll increase the coins number to unlock goal.
Radiant can make spheres, you just have to make 2 spheres, one a little bit smaller than the other, you place them on the same center and you remove one from other (CSG substract).

>10:- coins number to unlock goal: acceptable, although 2 or 3 more wouldn't hurt
I agree.

>Great work Tuxmym!
Thank you for all your comments.

9

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

rlk wrote:

In general, this is fantastic work.  Some of these are just brilliant.

Thank you very much, I hope this has motivated you to continue developing Neverball wink

>except where more information is given in French than in English.  Sorry, we can't have that.
French comments are just funny. The tips are all in English.

> 01: I think there's a little too much wood texture here.  We should probably come up with some new texture themes soon.  This level would benifit from a fresher look.
Ok, no problem, if you make a new texture, I'll apply it in this level.

>02: I don't think the chrome texture works very well on big horizantal surfaces, as it was meant for detailed or finely tessalated geometry.  Maybe another new texture would look good there.
Ok, I'll think about changing the texture. Maybe an existant one is sufficient.

>03: Perfect.  Do not touch.  This level really took me by surprise.  Strikingly original concept.
Thank you ^^ love it too, I hope it is not too easy.
The only problem is the intuitive aspect: have you falled several times before understanding the meaning of the arrows ?

>05: In many cases the poles block the view, but they look so cool reflected in the floor like that.  Maybe it needs a change, maybe it's good.
I could make the poles "dark glass" on the external faces and keep the chrome texture for the internal faces...

>06: If you're want to copy Kart's haunted house track you might as well throw in a castle model.
By castle model, you mean background images/musics ?

>Where did the wood texture come from?
I do not remember :-( but it was a website providing free textures.

>If you need or want textures, let me know, as I think visual consistency is a crucial part of a polished appearance for the game as a whole.
Of course I want better textures ;-)

>07: Thematically fits with some of MYM's other work, which is important.  I suggest no change.
I didn't have thought about the "thematical" aspect, you're right.

>13: I wish that glass didn't have to be there, but I recognize that it's necessary.
Yes for the glass. In this set I do not have systematically removed shortcuts but in some levels I prefer to do so.

>14: This one is very much a MYM level.  I get frustrated and annoyed by this type of stuff, but I'll accept it on the grounds that "rlk likes it" is not a necessary attribute for a level to have.
One of my prefered ^^

>15: Crushers were the first item I added to the "do-not-do-this" list in the initial mapping documentation.  It seems to work fairly well here, if you're willing to allow the ball to pass through the track.
Yes, sorry ^^ but I needed crushers to respect Mario Kart Rainbow Road. It works because the road is very thin.

> Great job on the shadow though.  It's a subtle yet necessary effect.
Yes, I added them recently because I had the feeling something was missing.

>16: Can the number of lumps in the upper areas of the cones be increased?  I'd just like it to be a bit less chaotic at the top.
You're right. But the problem is the number of lumps in a perimeter must be the same in the whole cone+upper areas to make the junctions fitting well. I have no solutions yet.

>17: Ugh.  Playing this level I felt as though I had been utterly deprived of all control.  I really feel the player must be solidly in control at all times.  A level should test the players ability to control the ball, not the player's ability to ACQUIRE control of the ball.  This level is long and complex, and I like that a lot, I just did not have any fun playing it.
Damn ! This is maybe my favorite level. I think if you have a good control of the ball in Neverball, you'll manage to finish this level, but I admit there is a little accomodation period.

>18: Is the face on the glass really necessary?  I found it popping in and out and conflicting with the near clipping plane, which was a bit distracting.
Ok, I understand and remove it.

>19: My only comment is: raise the goal coin count.  Force the player down into those holes.
Ok >:] players will go down in hell!

>20: The blue texture does not look good on the poles.
Ok

> Maybe a vertical chrome OBJ rail would look nice there, all smooth and rounded.  I'll model it if you like.
Yes, please.

>22:I suggest adding some of your blue blocks to this level in order to make the motion of the platform more obvious.
Ok.

>23: Overall this is a fine level, but is the column in the middle necessary?  It's an anti-cheating measure?  Is cheating really so bad?
No, it is not for preventing cheating. In fact it was for coherence reasons: the cabins need something to turn around. But apparently then meaning isn't well understood, I'll think about removing it.

Thank you for all these expert comments.

10

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

I'm stuk on level 8 at the moment, but I can make comments on levels 1 to 6 if you want ^-^

1
Really a great first level. Not so hard, and very impressive at first. Like rlk I don't like wood textures so much for this one... White arrows on wood textures are not very pretty too... That's funny, I would imagine more green textures like "green hills" zone in Sonic The Hedgehog if you know what I mean... That level remind me a bit oh that games wink

2
Nothing to say on a technical point of view. Really great as other ones ! But I think textures of the plateform would look better if there was reflection....

3
Really really surprising, and funny ! I don't know how you make arrows, but that's a great idea. Nothing else to say.

4
... no comments ^-^

5
This one is really hard to beat. Teleports are not easy to reach, that's a bit frustrating from time to time.... But that's a really good level. As rlk says, maybe you can make the poles a bit more transparent ? Is it possible ? Or like you did for loops for instance... but it's too transparent though ^-^'

6
I love race style levels wink It can be a bit harder I think though. Maybe you can add some blocks, or holes in the wall at well chosen places ?

7
Very good. At first I thought timing would be tighter and tighter... If you want this level a bit harder, that can be an idea...

8
I can't beat this level yet. That's hard ! Can't get the right move. I surely need more training !

I don't want to cheat and unlock other levels. I want to finish this set normally, even if it takes months wink I hope I can go further quickly, 'cause I want to make some comments about all levels though... That's a good reason to play neverball more than I do big_smile

11

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

Thanks very much for the new levels!  Here are my impressions of
the first six:

level 1

Very entertaining.  It's a good introduction to the series in that the
level can be completed with just the yellow coins, but leaves a
further challenge for later play with more coins.  Medium difficulty.
Liked the vertical tube.

level 2

Medium to high difficulty---shades of M18 for the sequence of
split-second platform exchanges.

level 3

Nice concept.  I take it one must hit the edge of the disk as
it's descending to make a jump for the coin?  (I didn't succeed
in doing this.)  Low to medium difficulty.

level 4

Medium difficulty.  I'm partial to the manual camera, and on manual
one can just rock back and forth and do stable jumps from one
web to another.

level 5

Great level---my favorite so far.  High difficulty.  An interesting
effect is to take the transporters from below with some vertical
momentum, effectively amplifying the bounce even without using the
high perches.  This level probably needs decent graphics hardware---
I ended up playing it without reflection (NVidia GeForce FX5200).
But don't change a thing---the scene complexity adds to the visual
interest and difficulty.

The floor seems to have a square hole in it when looking up after
a fall-out.

level 6

Low difficulty.  Maybe lengthen the gaps?  The jumps have very
generous margins.  The geometry on the sides of the track disappears
when pitched forward far enough.

12

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

>1 White arrows on wood textures are not very pretty too...
But I need to inform the player he/she must maximize speed, have you another solution ?

>That's funny, I would imagine more green textures like "green hills" zone in Sonic The Hedgehog if you know what I mean... That level remind me a bit oh that games wink
Cooool ! That exactly what I wanted to do. You can note that the filename of this map is "sonic.map" ^^
I think I'll try with the "green hills" texture, and if I like it, rlk will not have to create a new texture for this map.

>2 But I think textures of the plateform would look better if there was reflection....
Reflection can only be done at altitude 0 (z=0). Thus I could do reflections only for the first platforms OR the last ones... but not for all.

>7 At first I thought timing would be tighter and tighter... If you want this level a bit harder, that can be an idea...
In fact I have recently added 1 sec before each trigger protections return to its position. I thought it will be too hard because the player must 1. find the good order 2. don't miss a trigger otherwise he/she will be forced to restart all the process. I was afraid this could be too frustrating. I'll add this modification in the suggestion list and wait players reactions.

>I don't want to cheat and unlock other levels.
Good luck ! And thank you for your comments. Some of them where discussed previously so I haven't answered to them. I try to make my messages as short and clear as possible because this trhead starts to be very long.

13

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

>3 I take it one must hit the edge of the disk as
it's descending to make a jump for the coin?  (I didn't succeed
in doing this.)
It's just timing ^^

>5 The floor seems to have a square hole in it when looking up after
a fall-out.
Indeed ! I forgot to apply a texture here, thx.
Thx for your comments.

14

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

OK, my comments on levels 1 - 5:

1. Perfect starting level. I agree that white arrows are a bit ugly. Very nice level. Time and coins OK

2. Took me many attempts (30+) to get through this one. I found it very difficult. I realise timing is crucial, but the vertical to horizontal connection seems too short? Is it just an illusion? Time and coins OK

3. I was on manual camera, so I have never seen 'the coin' everyone is mentioning ;-) I really thought it was tr?s magnifique!

4. I think this is a perfect level, but is way easier than level 2. Maybe swap 2 with this? or increase coin count. I can just jump twice and get all the blue coins, it seems easier than it should be?!...

5. Still going on this one - not long now I can reach the top platform. As others suggest, more transparent poles? Time and coins are OK.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

15

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

I progress and I continue my comments.... cool

9
I agree with rlk... The concept is good, but unfortunately the render of  the sphere with neverball engine is not really good here. Maybe with a transparent sphere ? I don't know...

10
Neat ! Love it ! Love moving level like that.

11, 12, 13
No comments ! Great, funny, and perfectly done in my opinion.

14
A real technical level... And I love pipes wink I don't manage to take the big obvious shortcut yet though...

15
Excellent cool

16
I don't know what to say about this one... It's very funny to play, but it's not very "eye-candy", a bit like the sphere... However I don't know how it can be more beautiful...

17
Huh! Can't play this one more than 5 minutes non-stop wink

I progress slowly but surely (are my sentences really english ?? I wonder sometimes... ^-^) This set is really awesome !

16

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

>2. Took me many attempts (30+) to get through this one. I found it very difficult. I realise timing is crucial, but the vertical to horizontal connection seems too short? Is it just an illusion? Time and coins OK
It is an illusion caused by the different motions axis of the platforms (horizontal or vertical).
Ok, I'll propose to move it further in the set.

>3. I was on manual camera, so I have never seen 'the coin' everyone is mentioning ;-) I really thought it was tr?s magnifique!
It is always a pleasure to see foreigns writting French smile Some other players (like Canuck) sometimes speak about my levels by their French name, I like it ^^

>4. I think this is a perfect level, but is way easier than level 2. Maybe swap 2 with this? or increase coin count. I can just jump twice and get all the blue coins, it seems easier than it should be?!...
I think it depends on the player technique and the camera type used. I need more players viewpoints to know if this level has to be moved forward or backward in the set.

Thx for your comments.

17

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

shinobufan wrote:

I progress and I continue my comments.... cool

>9 I agree with rlk... The concept is good, but unfortunately the render of  the sphere with neverball engine is not really good here. Maybe with a transparent sphere ? I don't know...
I've first tried this but it is uglier :-( the problem is there are MANY lumps which overlap themselves in many ways, thus transparency doesn't well render.

>14 A real technical level... And I love pipes wink I don't manage to take the big obvious shortcut yet though...
You have found it the first day of the beta test ! Damn tongue But I don't manage to take it too. However I'm sure it is possible and some players will manage to do it.

>16 I don't know what to say about this one... It's very funny to play, but it's not very "eye-candy", a bit like the sphere... However I don't know how it can be more beautiful...
I agree, but I haven't found any solution yet sad I'm open to any suggestions smile

>17 Huh! Can't play this one more than 5 minutes non-stop wink
Hehe, this is the first time a Neverball's level manage to attack my stomach, but I love this level, this provide an odd sensation.

Thx for your positive comments !

18

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

rlk wrote:

15: I do kindof feel like complaining about the Thwomps.  Crushers were the first item I added to the "do-not-do-this" list in the initial mapping documentation.  It seems to work fairly well here, if you're willing to allow the ball to pass through the track.

Here is a replay showing a "bad crush": M2b15crush

19

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

After playing for some time now with this new levelset, it's time for my comments. First I would like to say this levelset is again very original, sometimes very frustrating (which is good) and there are some real fun levels in here. I've made it to level 20 now, so I'll post my comments here for the first 20.

1: Great level and not to hard to start with. I like the faces in the air smile As some have commented, maybe less wooden structure and more green.

2: Perfect level. Good work.

3: I like this one! It's totally different than any other level. Unfortunately it's replayability is a bit low, but don't change it.

4: Again, a very original level. When the new set was announced, I was afraid we should see 'more of the same'. You have proven the opposite.

5: nothing to say about this one. Good level, and it's getting a bit difficult here wink

6: Good level to beat some times here, but it's not really difficult. Maybe you can decrease the time a bit? I like the shortcut, but I'm not a fan of the texture.

7: Very good level. Needs good skill, but it's doable.

8: My least favorite level. Much harder than the previous seven. I don't know why I don't like this level, but it's frustrating in a bad way wink

9: Really funny level, but a bit easy. Maybe you can put this level as third or fourth in the set.

10: I really enjoyed this level. Again, time beating here. More coins should make it better.

11: Again, a very original and fun level. It's harder than you think, and the time setting is perfect here.

12: Nice level, but not very special.

13: Again, a good level. No comments about this one.

14: Probably my favorite level. You need some great skills to do this, and difficult till the last part. Good work!

15: Colourfull big_smile. Good racing level.

16: Wauw, I didn't realise this was possible with neverball. Good level, and I like the bridge smile

17: A very beautiful level to see, but strange to play. It reminds me of the moving maze level. A bit easy though, I made it to the finish in one game. Maybe you can add a switch in the fourth 'room'?

18: Very good level. Maybe a bit short, and quite easy, but nevertheless a real Mehdi level.

19: Brilliant level. Just raise the goal coin count, as stated by rlk

20: When I saw this level, it looked a bit easy. But it's not: it's all about patience and perfection. And getting to the goal is quite difficult.

I'm playing with level 21 now, and I hope to see 25 some day in my life smile Very good work Mehdi, and with this new levelset it shows the real fun of Neverball. Thanks smile

20

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

ufx wrote:

When the new set was announced, I was afraid we should see 'more of the same'. You have proven the opposite.

Thx ^^ that was the purpose, I'm happy you think that.

>6: Good level to beat some times here, but it's not really difficult. Maybe you can decrease the time a bit?
Yes, as I have explained previously, the aim was to reproduce my favorite level of my favorite game (Ghosts Valey on Super Mario Kart). I could change some things to make this level harder but I would move away from the original. However if the track is really not enough interesting I'll make some changes.

>8: My least favorite level. Much harder than the previous seven. I don't know why I don't like this level, but it's frustrating in a bad way ;)
You love pipes and half pipes but you seem to hate ramps... I don't know why too ;)

>10: Again, time beating here.
It is difficult because the player must wait the circuit reaches the goal.

>More coins should make it better.
They are difficult to place (because of the motion) and their placement depends on the player speedness.

>17: A bit easy though, I made it to the finish in one game. Maybe you can add a switch in the fourth 'room'?
I prefer keeping a facultative room, it's more interesting for the game. However I could make the other rooms harder.

>18: Maybe a bit short, and quite easy, but nevertheless a real Mehdi level.
Easy ? I do not find it is easy. If other players share your viewpoint I'll change it.

>I'm playing with level 21 now, and I hope to see 25 some day in my life :) Very good work Mehdi, and with this new levelset it shows the real fun of Neverball. Thanks :)
Thank you for your comments and congratulation for having reached level 21 in one day !

21

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

Unfortunately, level 16 is unplayable using the keyboard, so my testings stop here sad

22

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

canuck wrote:

Unfortunately, level 16 is unplayable using the keyboard, so my testings stop here sad

No, please, don't stop sad you can modify your ~/.neverball/neverballhs-mym2 file to go to level 17.
Later, I could add a special goal to wrap from level 16 to 18, for keyboard players big_smile

23

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

Canuck: as I don't want to lose a good player like you (particulary with the keyboard ^^), I have tried to play Neverball with the keyboard, and especially the new level 16. After some trainning I can say it is playable : here is the replay. So don't give up wink

24 (edited by ufx 2005-04-24 23:34:48)

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

Tuxmym wrote:

>6: Good level to beat some times here, but it's not really difficult. Maybe you can decrease the time a bit?

Yes, as I have explained previously, the aim was to reproduce my favorite level of my favorite game (Ghosts Valey on Super Mario Kart). I could change some things to make this level harder but I would move away from the original. However if the track is really not enough interesting I'll make some changes.

Ah! Then don't change it smile I've never played Super Mario Kart, so I wasn't aware of this.

Tuxmym wrote:

>8: My least favorite level. Much harder than the previous seven. I don't know why I don't like this level, but it's frustrating in a bad way wink

You love pipes and half pipes but you seem to hate ramps... I don't know why too wink

Hehehe smile Well, I indeed love pipes, but the ramps are very difficult for me. Maybe it's because I'm always (well, in most cases)  using the manual camera mode.

Tuxmym wrote:

>10: Again, time beating here.

It is difficult because the player must wait the circuit reaches the goal.

Whoops! Didn't see that.

Tuxmym wrote:

>17: A bit easy though, I made it to the finish in one game. Maybe you can add a switch in the fourth 'room'?

I prefer keeping a facultative room, it's more interesting for the game. However I could make the other rooms harder.

Ah ok. Well, I don't know if it's nessecary to make it harder. 'easy' is not the right word: 'easier than other Mehdi levels'  is smile

Tuxmym wrote:

>18: Maybe a bit short, and quite easy, but nevertheless a real Mehdi level.

Easy ? I do not find it is easy. If other players share your viewpoint I'll change it.

Again, it's easier than some other levels (so still difficult to do). I think it's easier than similar levels in your first set.

Tuxmym wrote:

>I'm playing with level 21 now, and I hope to see 25 some day in my life smile Very good work Mehdi, and with this new levelset it shows the real fun of Neverball. Thanks smile

Thank you for your comments and congratulation for having reached level 21 in one day !

Well, I've just finished level 25, so here are the comments on levels 21-25:

21: Nice level design! I like to see how you are using the 'standard' techniques to create a unique level. I like this one. To make it a bit harder, you can increase the goal coin count but I don't now if you should.

22: Lovely!

23: A difficult and good level. Do not change it smile

24: lots of speed here! Again, a very brilliant level. No comments on this one.

25: "If I cannot make it to the goal this time, I'ill throw my monitor out of my window and I will rm -rf /usr/bin/neverball"-level. Very, very good and you need some real skill here to get to the finish. I wonder if someone has the guts to get the coins wink. Perfect finishing level for your set. I need to use different camera modes in this level to finish it. Manual mode is almost impossible to use all the time.

With some little tweaks and changes this is a great new levelset for Neverball. Thanks and keep up the good work big_smile

25

Re: Mehdis's Levels Suite !!

Oh,

Obviously still being at Level 05 makes me a bit of a wuss. I am really struggling getting to the top platform again. Coins - Fine, getting to first platform and balancing - Fine, but making the top platform - NOT SO FINE...

Just FYI, I use the Manual camera at all times (with the mouse) and have altered the camera movement speeds in neverballrc. There are some levels where you absolutely *need* the chase camera, but I have *never* used Lazy.

themacmeister

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy