Topic: Guess Who's Back

Me! :love:

I've got a *lot* of reading to do (I haven't read the forums in a long, long time), so I'll probably be fairly quiet for a bit longer, but I'm looking forward to getting back into doing stuff (I've got a few background ideas that I've been wanting to polish off for ages).

Also, check out what I had the pleasure of doing yesterday at our Software Freedom Day event:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheeseness/5003208630/
There were a few people who took photos. I'll add in links as I find them.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Re: Guess Who's Back

I'm the first to welcome Cheese back! big_smile

Welcome back!

Hey buddy..
Good to hear from you again.

Greetz Cheese!

Sorry I couldn't make the event this year - See my other post here for specs to my new Linux-only box. It is a work in progress, but will be well and truly ready before the next event.

Also, welcome back to the forum!!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Good to see you again cheese smile
I'm eager to have a look at your env work.

6 (edited by It the it 2011-08-22 14:49:42)

Hi! cheese! big_smile I want to make some levels and I'm getting close to making a 1st one.  smile  (I was going to call you chezy. I can't help telling you this.)

It the it's level set: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2922
6/19/17: a bit of help needed here, plz: http://neverforum.com/fmpbo/viewtopic.php?id=2988
avatar drawn with ANVIL-1000MD (c) and scaled down with GIMP
にほんご べんきょう する。 (i am studying japanese)

Thanks Dave!

Right back at you, tones.

No wuckers, themacmeister. There's always next year wink

You too, mym. I'm going to get back into things slowly though - I've had too much of jumping from one huge project to another over the past few years, and not enough time to sit back and enjoy what I'm doing.

G'day It the it! You wouldn't be the first to call me cheesey wink

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Off Topic: I discovered a replacement heatsink/fan (Zalman) for my 8600GT, so my Linux box is nearly complete. I'll get a SATA DVD-RW at the same time tomorrow, and THAT'S IT!!!

Currently Playing:

Also off topic: I got myself a second hand 20" G5 iMac. I think I'm going to keep a tablet tied to it permanently and use it as my sketching machine cool

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Also off topic again: Is that the white plastic one Cheese? the one with the magnetic remote?

Very off topic: I used the tiny heatsink/fan from my 8400GS on the 8500GT, as the card was working fine (WITH NO FAN!!!), so I'm pretty sure it will handle the heat dissipation. Lovely and quiet, and running Blur/Split Second/GRID with only minor slowdown in places - not bad for such an "Entry Level" card. Not worthy when put up against my 9800GT tho smile

Currently Playing:

I still can't read 9800 without assuming it's an ATi card :doh:

Dursi (my iMac) is an ALS 20". (Un?)Fortunately I didn't get the remote with it. After popping the hood, I've noticed it has a bulging cap which I'm going to attempt to replace.

Back on topic(ish): Here's another photo of me looking uncoordinated on that giant balance board from a recent LUG meeting.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5025395753_14f0e4766f.jpg

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Looks funny. I'd love to see a video of you playing Neverball this way smile

heh, looks like you are doing one of those bodybuilder poses smile

Currently Playing:

If I get a chance to play around on it again, I'll try to get a video smile
No poses, just balance and concentration (and trying not to hit my head on a light fitting)

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Hey Cheese...

Was that at the TasLUG meeting (Hotel)?

Either that, or the SFD venue has changed a lot smile

Currently Playing:

Yeah, it was at the LUG meeting following SFD wink

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Well, that didn't last long.

After a mighty stint of operating a whipper snipper, raking, sawing up trees and other misc yardwork combined with a couple of weeks worth of staying up (no sleep means no rest), I've given myself tennis elbow in both arms and the equivalent in both my wrists. At the moment, I can't type, draw, drive, play guitar, tie my shoelaces (at the moment, my gorgeous girlfriend does dictation so that I can reply to emails).

The doctor says these sorts of things take a couple of months to heal. I'm a month in at the moment, but it's very slow going. At least I can open and close doors myself now.

Certainly a reality check for someone who plans to do art and programming until they retire hmm

I totally advise you all to respect your bodies and don't overwork them.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I hope you'll heal quickly.
I know one has to be very patient and careful to improve the healing.
I twisted a lot of time both of my ankles playing soccer, so I quit 6 years ago, tried tennis for a few years, hurt my wrist and shoulder, then quit tennis. Now I do cycle, swimming and other safe sports, and I'm fine :-)
Take care.

Speedy recovery. Take it slow.

go easy bud!

Currently Playing:

Thanks guys!

So, after 9 months, I'm feeling about 75% recovered. It's been slow, gruelling and immensely frustrating.

The first three months were pretty nightmarish, and it wasn't until February that I had my first full day without pain. After that, I slowly started to work up the amount of activity I was doing. Recently I started cycling again (though I've only been for three very short rides), and I'm looking forward to regaining some of the fitness I've lost.

I still can't spend a lot of time on the computer, but I'm keen to stay in the loop with Neverball stuff.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

That's wonderful news! I'll be seeing you at the SFD event, I have set up a computer already (Natty), but I really want to use the H-T P4 3.0GHz machine, with NVIDIA graphics running Crunch Bang! Linux. I *should* be getting that back within the week - so fingers crossed :-)

I have a spare 80GB SATA drive, so I might frankenstein my current machine, and have the other on show as well.

I'll email you shortly to discuss it. I realise I am cutting it fine as usual, but I had almost given up on Linux altogether. I believe it is time for me to "get back in the saddle" as it were.

Currently Playing: