Topic: BuD's level set V2

I posted my new pack of levels:
http://www-pagines.fib.upc.es/~e3456730 … set.tar.gz
Post all comments here

2 (edited by parasti 2005-09-28 21:24:41)

Re: BuD's level set V2

Here's my thoughts:

* Level shots could be of better quality, they look blurry.
* Level 1 has some T-intersections where bridges (except the first one) are connected to the floor.
* Level 2 : I'll like this level when I'll see a way for some freestyle in it smile
* Level 3 : Good one, I like it just as much as the old version. However, it's possible to jump directly to the goal from the start. (And it was possible in the old version as well.)
* Level 4 : Very nice, perhaps visibility could be better. Just have to get used to it a little.
* Level 5 : Interesting.
* Level 6 looks promising.
* Level 7 : I had some difficulty to find a good enough 'pattern' to finish this level, but it offers me something to improve on.
* Level 8 : This one is my favourite at the moment, very nice. I like flying smile

I didn't notice any more t-intersections or texture problems, but I did not really look for them. Some of these levels are very good and original, I'm definitely looking forward to your set with 25 levels. smile

Finished levels 1,2 and on level 3.

These are sweet levels, and I'm sure they are good enough for a place in a future release...

Keep on mapping!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

4 (edited by Dave 2005-10-01 04:37:36)

Bud, these levels are really good! I enjoyed playing through them. I'm with parasti about level 2, I'd enjoy it more if there were a possibility of freestyle or shortcut of some kind(And, believe me, I tried!)

Here are my personal best times so far:
Level 01 - 3'96"
Level 02 - 24'85"
Level 03 - 9'29" (Jumping  bar is very cool.)
Level 04 - 4'93"
Level 05 - 26'34" (This is one of my favorite levels. Very clever!)
Level 06 - 8'76" (Yeah, it's unfinished, I know, but still a challenge for a fast time...)
Level 07 - 13'89"
Level 08 - 26'59"

I also really like your last one (Level 8.) Jumping to the different "tubes" is very cool, but I wish there were a way to maybe get all of the coins... Maybe there is and I just haven't been brave enough to try it, but it seems like there maybe wouldn't be enough time allotted for it.

Edit: I added a time for level 07, once I found a good shortcut.  (I'll add times for level 2,6, & 8 soon)

Edit: Added times for all levels...

What are some times that everyone else is getting with these levels?

First of all, BuD, awesome levels!

I finished level 4 in 13.29 seconds (it took me several bounces to finally hit the goal). Most of my times are several seconds longer that Dave's.

It's a taste i have acquired.

6 (edited by parasti 2005-10-02 15:10:41)

I have 8'50'' in Level 3, and 26'54'' in Level 8; the rest are slightly worse than Dave's.

Level 1 - 4'31''
Level 2 - 30'17''
Level 4 - 5'16''
Level 5 - 29'61'' (more than 'interesting' when you do some freestyle in it smile)
Level 6 - 9'08''
Level 7 - 16'47'' (so there *is* a shortcut. I was hoping to see an excellent run hitting the switches and all...)

Good, It would be nice to send me some replays of your record wink
By the way, I changed things in some levels and I going to update the set again.

BuD wrote:

I posted my new pack of levels:
http://www-pagines.fib.upc.es/~e3456730 … set.tar.gz
Post all comments here

Nice levels Bud !
1. it takes some time to finish it, but it is nice for a level 1
2. I love it ! So much things are reflecting ^^ the concept is interesting too.
3. I like it ! As before ;-) (best time : 7'58" (@Dave: as you displays your record, I tried to beat you tongue), freestyle)
4. good level, and really hard, I needed to learn an adapted technique to achieve it
5. great level ! I LOVE half-pipes ! And you managed to do a level interesting and not too hard with such elements, bravo!
6. you could do a fun thing with this one
7. hard hard hard ! this level really need a lot of reflection ! I don't have finished it yet tongue
8. good concept. However bouncing well requires some luck I think.

Good work Bud, I hope you'll made more levels !

Nice Replays smile. The level 7 I think I have to modify it. But if you want know how to finish it, get this replay.

10 (edited by Sebastian 2005-10-02 21:33:39)

Level 3 -  7'92"
Level 4 -  6'02"
Level 5 - 35'54" (the fun really lies here to do it 'freestyle' :-)
Level 6 -  9'73"
Level 8 - 26'63"

I'll send you some of my replays.

Ahhh... I discovered a way to freestyle level 2. You must first go forward a ways and then go back, to hit the edge created between the solid platform and moving platform. Tricky timing, and takes a little luck, but I've done it twice this way. 15'96" best time so far. Here's a replay, if you're interested : replay

Tuxmym, that's some really nice work on level 3. I enjoyed watching those replays.

BTW, my new best time on level 5 is 23'98". This is a very fun level, indeed.

Dave wrote:

Ahhh... I discovered a way to freestyle level 2. You must first go forward a ways and then go back, to hit the edge created between the solid platform and moving platform. Tricky timing, and takes a little luck, but I've done it twice this way. 15'96" best time so far. Here's a replay, if you're interested : replay

Very clever Dave, as always big_smile you have the talent to find shortcuts on beta levels and this makes level designers thinking again about their levels architecture smile

Dave wrote:

Tuxmym, that's some really nice work on level 3. I enjoyed watching those replays.

Thx smile It is motivating to see you posting your best times wink

I'm up to level 5 (legitimately) and I can unlock the goal, but I cannot see (easily) how to make the jump to the goal. I'm sure you cannot do a jump to a jump (big halfpipe to small halfpipe) in one jump, hence you have to bounce on the square platform. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Currently Playing:

thanks for pre compiling the levels!

reviews to come!

15 (edited by themacmeister 2005-10-15 06:56:11)

OK, I am up to level 7 now, and I fear I will never see level 8...

Levels 2,3,4 & 5 deserve to be in a release levelset. Level 1 is too easy, and 7 looks too hard...

I have a 37.90s replay for level 5 if you are interested. I am sure that someone will beat that (if they haven't already). If you would like to see it, send me an email (link on left of page) and I will send you one as an attachment. You may need to install Bud's set as number 5 on the list for this to work ?>!

Currently Playing:

im stuck on level 2, i never was good with the moving platforms...

My new coin best for Bud level 08 - 389 coins!
(I almost finished once with 413 coins, but ran out of time about 2 secs before hitting the goal...)

I have also developed a strategy whereby one could collect all of the coins in this level, but it would require at least twice as much time as is currently allotted. I don't see any reason not to increase the time limit to say 2:00 or 2:30... What do you think, Bud? Maybe in a future version of the set?

I finish your lvl1 in 4''45   who do it better?

comment trouver le temps de travailler maintenant?

Me! Look at my best times post above. 3'92" for the level you mentioned. Your time is very good, though. Keep up the good work!

Dave wrote:

Me! Look at my best times post above. 3'92" for the level you mentioned. Your time is very good, though. Keep up the good work!

ow! i havn't take the time to read all... ok , i will train and try again... :-(

Dave wrote:

well that's it  tongue : i've made 3.85 for the first!!! :-) cool

... but i don't have a site to host my replay.. i can send by mail

Nice job! Kwriss, I'd be happy to host it on my webspace for a few weeks. Just send it over email. Unfortunately, I have rather limited space, so I'll probably have to delete it after a few weeks. But it will give others players a chance to download and watch it.

24 (edited by themacmeister 2005-11-17 23:08:26)

Hey BuD,

I don't know if you have tried this, but on the level that matches your avatar, I managed to jump from the first ramp, directly to the base of the 2nd ramp, and then on to the teleport, all in about 5 seconds... This could make for a good time on this level. I have a replay if you would like it.

Currently Playing:

Dave wrote:

Nice job! Kwriss, I'd be happy to host it on my webspace for a few weeks. Just send it over email. Unfortunately, I have rather limited space, so I'll probably have to delete it after a few weeks. But it will give others players a chance to download and watch it.

i have 8.73 for the B6 too.. i will send you