Re: Freestyle training course

Dave..

Finally got around to checking out the current version of your two levels.
They are both super-duper. I totally agree with you about the necessity for imaginative thinking.
That's what freestyle is all about I am learning.

btw, I love the pipe crossings in the hard level!

And the coins replay, WOW!

Playing these levels will certainly broaden my "neverball" horizons..

Dave, you could edit your first post to put a link to the last version of your levels, so I could stick this thread as other levels contribution threads.

Sure, Tuxmym. I'll work up a little package, and include my previously completed levels in it. I might even re-think my very first level ever, and come up with a way for that to be included, too(I'd hate for it to go to waste).
I'll be sure to include set.txt, level.txt files, too. Should end up being ~4-6 levels total. I'll try to post that later tonight.

Okay, Tuxmym, I did it. I edited the first post and included a link to my levels.
I made a .tar.gz file, which I've never done before... I hope I did it right. Please let me know if it works for you. If not, maybe you could help me know how to do it right. (Or will .zip format work? I don't know linux at all)
I haven't included any sort of makefile, but I don't know how to make one, and plus, it's not like you really need to compile the levels - I include pre-compiled ones in the download. (the format of the file is not OS-specific, rlk says)

Its just 4 levels for now. My original level from way back when just didn't fit the theme of freestyle, so it's out.

Dave wrote:

Okay, Tuxmym, I did it. I edited the first post and included a link to my levels.
I made a .tar.gz file, which I've never done before... I hope I did it right. Please let me know if it works for you. If not, maybe you could help me know how to do it right. (Or will .zip format work? I don't know linux at all)
I haven't included any sort of makefile, but I don't know how to make one, and plus, it's not like you really need to compile the levels - I include pre-compiled ones in the download. (the format of the file is not OS-specific, rlk says)

Its just 4 levels for now. My original level from way back when just didn't fit the theme of freestyle, so it's out.

It works fine Dave, there is no need to modify your archive. I haven't tested all level yet but I'll do it for sure.

Just so people know, the levels currently in the pack are(not in any particular order):
Holes - some of you might remember this from a while back... pretty simple yet challenging.
Seesaw - No one has seen this one yet. I'd love to hear people's opinion's on it.
Inside Corners 1- This is the basic training for hitting inside corners - still in development (i.e. it's ugly!)
Inside Corners 2- this is the really hard one that I have modified several times and is in a relatively final state.

Let me know what you guys think about the Holes and Seesaw levels - I appreciate any feedback on design,etc.

I will try to soon make some more basic training levels to teach various concepts, and then it will be on to the fun stuff! (the hard levels)

Paul mentioned that he likes really big levels... just wait until I start designing past level 15 - I plan to make them quite large and with tons of variety and challenges.

I think holes and seesaw are great. I'm getting better at bouncing sideways.

Holes: at first, the change of texture was frustruating. I guess I was subconsciously using the coin pad texture as a guide for aiming at the holes, but now that that is "out of my system" it looks much more organized/clean.

Seesaw: I like this level, it's devious. I suppose the way to get the blue coins in the well is to bounce from one of the higher cubby holes? However, I don't like the possibility of bouncing wrong and ending up behind the border with no way to get back inside. I would much rather just fall out. Also, because I'm so used to the chase camera setting together with manual camera rotation (thus, using manual alone is really frustruating) this level is harder that in should be for me.

Anyway, I think your levels are great and anxiously await more!

It's a taste i have acquired.

Seesaw technique really depends on the manual mode for maximum acceleration... I should probably give a little more info in the "blurb" at the beginning. How about :

Using the coin pads to align yourself,
bounce back and forth to gain speed.
Then tilt, and hop up to the high cages.
(Tip: use manual mode!)

Does that work any better?

Paul, the part of the level that you can hop "behind" will open up as you hit the triggers in the upper cages. This then allows you to gain enough momentum to jump up to the high platform, which will let you drop down into the well and bounce out, getting the blue coins.

59 (edited by parasti 2005-10-21 22:58:34)

I very much like the Seesaw. I've not been able to grab all the blue coins for now, but it's fun trying. The walls (while 'closed') cause sort of obvious z-fighting in corners. I'm not sure how to remove that though. And also decal textures of switches aren't aligned well.

parasti wrote:

I very much like the Seesaw. I've not been able to grab all the blue coins for now, but it's fun trying. The walls (while 'closed') cause sort of obvious z-fighting in corners. I'm not sure how to remove that though. And also decal textures of switches aren't aligned well.

Thanks for the comments, parasti. I know just what to do to fix the z-fighting, and the textures on 2 switches are misaligned because I copied and pasted the decal, before knowing about the clever "texture-lock" option which is in the lastest version of gtkradiant. It's hard to see sometimes in radiant whether the texture is aligned well or not because of the black stuff around it... Anyway, I've fixed those things in my levels for now, but will wait to repost the archive until I've got a level to add to it.

61 (edited by Dave 2005-10-26 19:51:32)

I have a new very difficult level based on the technique of angled acceleration. It is in an un-polished state, and will require the presence of my new texture pack... Installation of which should be pretty easy. (no different really, than copying the shot-dave folder. )
Okay, I will come up with a coin goal and time limit and post it tonight!

Edit: It's posted. Please let me know what you think of the idea in general, and any specific improvements, etc. Thanks!

(If you haven't beaten my previous way hard level, you might mave to modify the level.txt to move the order to get to it!)

(Edit: I should also mention that I am including the texture pack with the level set download, so no need to download both things separately)

Wow, that's hard. But, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I like it.

Dave, I just wanted to make sure that it is possible to reach the high platform in you newest level? I get close, I mean really-really close, but I can't quite seem to make it up there.

Paul, yes, it is. it requires angled acceleration, though. You'll never get up there with a straight run... That's sort of the whole point of the level.  I have just this weekend come up with a simpler, easier training level for the angled acceleration technique. I will be posting it soon. It has many rails to help you keep from falling out, which is easy to do with angled accel, because of the inability to clearly see where you are headed.

And, by the way, you can also gain a little extra speed by starting back by the end of the platform on which the trigger lies - it gives you a little more running space, but you'll still need to be angled. 45degrees = best possible acceleration. Good luck!

This is one of my favorites from your level set so far Dave (angled acceleration).
I find the hardest part is staying on those darn 1 or 2 unit rails to collect hard to reach coins.
I have been able to reach the goal platform, but haven't unlocked it yet.
This has definitely improved my ability to control the angled technique.
Can't wait to see more!

tones, thanks for the comment! I'm not happy with the symmetry of this level... it actually started out as the training level, and then started to get much harder, so I switched gears and turned it into the hard level.(training one is mostly finished, just need to place coins....)

the rails(which are at least 4 units, btw, maybe 8) are easier if you switch to the chase cam. (Hence my cryptic tip in the opening "blurb") And if you think that the ones down below are difficult, wait until you try to grab all of the coins up by the goal platform!

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to break up the symmetry in this level? Maybe it's not that bad? The training level is not symetrical at all. I think you will enjoy that one.

67 (edited by paul 2005-11-07 17:26:38)

Dave wrote:

it requires angled acceleration, though. You'll never get up there with a straight run...

I know, what i meant was that even with the correct technique and starting at the back of the switch area, I'm catching the front corner just enough to bounce upward, but still lose all forward momentum (much better than you can do straight on). But, if you and tones have made it then I'll keep trying.

Edit: Ok, Ive got it now...just need to not overshoot the platform

Dave, I finally got around to try the new level. I admit, I cheated and replaced the first level of the set, so the goal was already unlocked, though it's seems relatively easy to gather enough coins there. And that's about 8 units, about the same thing that's in Hard 2, *easy* wink It's impossible to finish the 'corner hitting' level with a partly broken mouse...

I love it, and the idea of using acceleration trick on a fast moving platform is amazing. I, however, fell down on the start platform several times, and could not find a way up, since the only exit was locked. But anyway, it just needs eye-candy-ing up a little, and it's perfect.

Paul, I thought you were referring to the fast moving platform to ramp jump.
I believe that puts you onto the highest platform.
ramps are provided for all the big jumps in this level.
Are you using a corner to launch somewhere?

tonesfrommars, I was talking about the first ramp/jump. it turns out that my angle was too big (almost 90 degrees!), negating the "angle effect." once i stopped doing that everything was cool.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
parasti, good point about being trapped down below... I can't think of an easy fix, though. Any suggestions? How about it starts closed, and there is a switch immediately in front of you as you start that you can trip on the way up to open it up? If you end up down below, you can hit the switch again to open(or close!) the floor section...
(and yes, it's 8 units... "easy", as you say. sorry, tones!)

paul, I'm glad you got it sorted out. It's a lot easier to see where you're going when you've got it closer to 45 degrees instead of 90! (you still can't see all that far... but it's not nearly as bad as going sideways.)

72 (edited by paul 2005-11-07 23:08:10)

there's got to be a way to make it open back up (a timer instead of a switch?)...i'll think about it some.

Edit: duh, you can make it just like the moving path above, with slightly more than enough time to make it to the ramp

...or maybe some kind of path that leads underneath to the back "inside corners" area, so you have to use that skill if you mess up.

73 (edited by Dave 2005-11-10 05:36:45)

Okay, I'm nearly ready to release my next version, this time with 6 levels. I spent a couple of hours polishing off my angled acceleration training level. It looks and plays quite well, I think.

I fixed the "door" opening issue with the hard angled accel. level. It will be on a timer that closes it for about 7 seconds - ample time to make the jump, then it will open back up. It can be closed again for another attempt by simply hitting the trigger.

I will fix a few textures in the seesaw level (already fixed the triggers, but it's when you look up through the glass at the bottom of the goal or a trigger. It's blank! So, I'm putting a "face" on the bottom too, for when you can see up to it. )

I used some of tuxmym's excellent coin pads in the newest level. They work quite well. I gotta go to bed at the moment, but in the next couple of days, I'll upload the latest level-pack.

EDIT : Or should I just wait until I've got a couple of more levels to add to it? It could grow tiresome for you guys to basically download the set each time I release a new level.

Go for it Dave!

I remember RLK was releasing updates every month - minimum, so we are used to it here - as long as the traffic on the server isn't too high...

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

75 (edited by Dave 2005-11-13 00:23:23)

Okay, folks! My zip file is updated with the latest versions of my levels. I added one more : a training level for the angled acceleration technique. It has lots of rails, but you still have plenty of opportunity to fall out. I went ahead and polished it off. Let me know if you see any T-intersections, mis-aligned textures, etc. Thanks!

I also updated the switch on my hard angled accel. level.
And I updated the textures/geometry of the seesaw level. Now, you can see the goal and switches from below, through the glass! (And hopefully no more Z-fighting.)

I still need to polish off a couple of more levels (the inside corners training level, and the angled accel. hard level)

You will need to have my texture pack installed, plus Mehdi2-beta textures. I removed my texture pack from inside the zip file, since it added quite a lot to the download size, and there's no need for everyone to download that every time... tongue

You know I love comments, suggestions, etc. So please make them here!

(EDIT : provided links to the important files)