26 (edited by Dave 2005-10-05 13:38:42)

Re: Freestyle training course

tonesfrommars wrote:

I assume this level will not be an "introduction" to leaping from corners...?

The new version is a bit frustrating when trying to reach the teleporter.
There is just enough room to gain momentum, and if you miss, you fall out. Or you fly through the teleporter going too fast, and fall out on the other side.

tonesfromars,
This would not be the introduction level, no. This level would fall approximately in the level 9 or 10 slot (out of 25), and would only be after having experienced the "safer" training level back around level 1,2 or 3, which you could still fall-out on, but not nearly so easily.

I think it would be a good idea to make a bit larger platform for the player to teleport to - that way the ball won't fall off so easily after teleporting(which happened to me quite a lot too!)

I can, off the top of my head, think of at least 4 different ways to reach the teleporter now, whereas before there was only 1 way. I think that's a good change, it encourages creativity, which is what freestyle is all about, but parasti's right. It takes a different corner-hitting technique in the first part than in the second part. I'll be sure to include a good variety of stuff in the "easy" level(maybe I should work on that one next? I was thinking of doing an angled-acceleration training level, but it should be pretty quick and easy to do one for the corner-hitting training.)

(I find it funny that one of you thinks its harder, and one of you thinks its easier... Hard to please everyone, I guess!)

parasti, I usually test all of my new levels out on Easy 1- which has a time of ~3:10 I think. Plenty of time for a level like this... at least I think so. I fall out way before 3 minutes is up; I'm doing good to last 1 minute!

I agree with parasti, the first section of the new version was much easier for me. I find it much easier to hit corners just right at shorter distances because angles get more difficult to calculate when you're going fast/far.

After about four attempts, I am able to consistently hit the teleport platform without speeding through the teleport and flying off the other side.

I can hit the teleoprter by hitting the wooden corner straight on, by crossing a rail and hitting the edge of the next platform, by backing up a little and bouncing off the rail in front of the starting point, and can almost get there by going from end to end and bouncing backward, like the way you had to do it in the first version (long distances mess me up). Any others?

It's a taste i have acquired.

Newer first part is easier for me too smile
BTW nice changes Dave wink

paul wrote:

I can hit the teleoprter by hitting the wooden corner straight on, by crossing a rail and hitting the edge of the next platform, by backing up a little and bouncing off the rail in front of the starting point, and can almost get there by going from end to end and bouncing backward, like the way you had to do it in the first version (long distances mess me up). Any others?

You can also hit the wood section where it joins the blue turf, and bounce over sideways to the teleporter. So, I guess there's at least 5 ways. Nice work, paul. I hadn't thought about backing up and bouncing off of the rail.

Thanks, Tuxmym.

3-day weekend coming up. If I can finish grading my students' fugue homework quickly, I'll try to whip out another level.

I cant download the replay for some reason, it saves as a text file sad

Rodimus, have you tried simply deleting the .txt extension? (You MUST have the option disabled to "hide extensions for known file types", on the "View" Tab, under Tools->Folder Options. I'm assuming your on WinXP)

i cant view it, it appears, but it wont play, why?

Since I substituted the map for Easy 1 in my installation, you must do the same to view it. you can either edit the easy levels set text file to match the filename, or you can change the filename to easy.sol, or something like that...

When you say it "appears", you mean in the replay list? But when you click it, it won't play? Weird.

i have it as easy 1 as well, when i click it in my replay thingy it just turns the back to a sorta navy blue color

I had the same problem as Rodimus, but when I re-downloaded the replay and overwrote the one in /.neverball it worked fine. I know that's not a logical solution, but that's all I did.

36 (edited by Dave 2005-10-24 22:00:54)

I have an idea, Rodimus. If you renamed the .sol or .map file, it will not make any difference to play the level in-game, but when you want to watch my replay(s), the replay file has hard-coded which .sol file it looks for. So, it must be named map1-3.sol (for the one below, map1-4.sol). You must edit the levels-easy.txt file so that the second entry(for level 1!) is map1-3.sol (map1-4.sol). I believe that the replay should work that way. Let us know if it does or not!

To Everyone : I have gone ahead and finished polishing off this level. Here are the links:
//http://members.cox.net/dolsen6/map1-4.map
//http://members.cox.net/dolsen6/map1-4.sol

I gave many tries to get you guys a decent coin run replay, and had a hard time getting more than half. I was about to give up when I miraculously managed to collect all 300 coins AND make it to the goal! So, here it is :
http://members.cox.net/dolsen6/ALLCOINS
I apologize for the size of the replay(1.1MB), but its 2:15 long so make sure that there is at least that much time in the level that you have substituted...(I guess it has to be the 1st level of the easy set)

Please let me know if you see any graphical bugs, or other issues.
parasti - the texture pads are fixed, so that the 5 coin groups have one in the middle.
tonesfrommars - I very slightly enlarged the platform that you teleport to - by the width of the trim. This should help a little. I tried making it larger, but it became a real problem to see the part below that you must drop down to.

(EDIT : link to levels are dead : Use this one instead, which has all of the levels. You can view the replay by renaming icorners2.sol to map1-4.sol and placing it in the map-rlk folder.)

Way to go Dave! That's an awesome replay.

I only see one t-intersection, right at the front of the highest platform in section 2 (touching the ramp). You just need two triangular pieces like the one you have for the ensuing ramp (i saw it in the replay and checked the map).

Can't wait for more!

38 (edited by Rodimus 2005-10-07 02:08:34)

it STILL isnt working, wth?

would it be better if i made your thing into a new group entirely and tried it that way?

btw, i tried overwriting it, but that didnt work ;_;

Rodimus,
You could certainly try it. It seems that others are able to get it working,ok, though, so maybe if you told us exactly what you have done, where you are putting the files, etc. we can spot what's going wrong.

Are you able to actually play the level, but just not the replay?

paul wrote:

Way to go Dave! That's an awesome replay.

I only see one t-intersection, right at the front of the highest platform in section 2 (touching the ramp). You just need two triangular pieces like the one you have for the ensuing ramp (i saw it in the replay and checked the map).

Can't wait for more!

Good eyes, paul. I couldn't see it during the replay, but that might just be a hardware setting on my video card smoothing things over by default. I opened up the map and saw where it must have been happening, and I caught a couple of more places, too, that were similarly laid out.

Thanks for the compliment about the replay. It was hard! It's a pretty challenging, but fun level, I think.

Your welcome, Dave. I hope to be as good as you one day (I consider myself 1/2 the way there).

Also, looking through my neverball directory I found/remembered that you had a map with holes of three sizes that you had to use to bounce up to grab coins. I think you should definitely put that one in the first few levels of your freestyle training set. It's really good for learning how to control landing after a big bounce.

Great level, Dave! I also find the new first part less difficult, but I like it better for the geometry. I need much more training to finish it more often!! The hardest thing is the 90° jump, I know where to hit but I just can't do it... great fun.

However, I'm experiencing the same replay problems I think as Rodimus:
I downloaded the replay, copied it to {neverball-dir}.\data\.neverball\ALLCOINS,
changed the second line of levels-easy.txt to .\map-dave\map1-4.sol (and allowed some extra time); however, I can play the level, and ALLCOINS appears in the Replay menu; still, when I click it, nothing happens (the background vanishes, that's all). Same with FINISHED, although that's to be expected (?) because the map's not the same name. Maybe someone knows (at least rlk will) what exactly is the format of a replay file, and what you need to supply in order to make it work...

Apart from that, great work, very polished also for a first try, can't wait for more!

43 (edited by parasti 2005-10-07 12:19:52)

Dave wrote:

You must edit the levels-easy.txt file so that the second entry(for level 1!) is map1-3.sol (map1-4.sol).

nue, you only need to change the .sol part (easy.sol to map1-4.sol, just like Dave suggests), do not change map-rlk to map-dave. Worked for me.

As for the level - I haven't had the time to really check it out, but it looks beautiful. The replay was very impressive. smile

44 (edited by Dave 2005-10-07 13:35:45)

nue, I'm glad you like the changes. If you are talking about the 90 degree corner on the wood part to jump to the teleporter, then I will say that I personally find that to be one of the most challenging ways to get across. I think the easiest way is to grab a red coin, and run along the rail and bounce back onto the platform. Of course, after that, everything is hard.

parasti wrote:
Dave wrote:

You must edit the levels-easy.txt file so that the second entry(for level 1!) is map1-3.sol (map1-4.sol).

nue, you only need to change the .sol part (easy.sol to map1-4.sol, just like Dave suggests), do not change map-rlk to map-dave. Worked for me.

Right! Good call, parasti. I forgot to mention that you should simply place the map1-4.sol file inside the "map-rlk" directory along with his other levels... I think that should fix the issue.

parasti wrote:

As for the level - I haven't had the time to really check it out, but it looks beautiful. The replay was very impressive. smile

Thanks! smile

On another note, I did a quick mock-up of a "safe" training level for this technique last night. I will do a few tweaks, and post it in a bit. I'd be extremely interested to hear what the less experienced players think of it, as it is designed with them in mind.

45 (edited by Dave 2005-10-24 22:02:36)

Ahh, it's done: here's is the training level for inside corner hitting... Remember, it's just a mock-up, so I don't really need to hear about mis-aligned textures, etc. What I would love to hear is whether or not this level seems like a good preparatory level for the Hard one(map1-4). Also, any issues with alignment of holes, heights of things, "running room", etc. I'd love to hear about.

Imagine that the ugly gray walls on the sides are nicy shiny rails(which they will eventually become...)

Here's the stuff:
//http://members.cox.net/dolsen6/map2-2.map
//http://members.cox.net/dolsen6/map2-2.sol

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

(EDIT: Links are dead, use this one instead, which points to the whole set.)

I had saved the ALLCOINS replay in .neverball, killed the .txt, then saved ALLCOINS over it.

47 (edited by Rodimus 2005-10-08 03:42:42)

i completed your new level, replaced easy 3 and changed it to it

and saved a replay smile

not sure where to upload it though ;_;

i beat it in 25.81 with 12 coins wink

Rodimus, you can email it to me : jolynsbassAThotmailDOTcom (just replace the AT with @, and DOT with .)
I'll host it on my webspace and put a link to it here, so people can download it.

I'd love to hear what you thought about the level...

sent big_smile, and great level design, gonna try to get the upper coins next, btw, the 46.xx run was my first try O.o

50 (edited by Dave 2005-10-24 22:04:23)

Okay, for everyone who is interested: Rodimus has these two replays :
//http://members.cox.net/dolsen6/YEY//
//http://members.cox.net/dolsen6/YEY2//

he has replaced the coins.sol file in the map-rlk folder, so you might need to rename the map2-2.sol to coins.sol in order to see the replays, that's what I did, anyway. It worked like a charm.

Nice job Rodimus, now try to grab 50 coins to consider the goal as unlocked! I also would suggest raising the amount of time allotted for this level to at least 3 minutes instead of just one.

What do you all think about the opening area especially - that's the real "practice ground"... jumping up to grab the coins... Are they well placed, or do they need some tweaking?

(EDIT: links are dead now. Webspace is limited. Sorry, Rodimus :-( it was just a beta level,anyway. )