Re: Nuncabola

parasti wrote:

Took me nearly two weeks to add that stuff to Neverball.  wink

With SVN traffic suspiciously quiet in the time following r2861, I knew you were up to something bigger... smile

Well, actually around that time I got sucked into Nexuiz CTF without any plans whatsoever for Neverball...  But it is there that I saw how extremely useful such a package system is;  basically everyone distributes everything, be it textures, sounds, maps, etc, using drag-and-drop installable archives.  The pace at which new things are added is mind-blowing, it's just so easy to do.  Of course, these "new things" would still need to be created, but I think it's quite encouraging to know that when you're done with that, you're done, and there won't be any distribution headache.

Hi Elviz,

I am having trouble getting Nuncabola to run, via the .bat file, or the .jar file.

I just installed the latest JavaRE under WinXP, and had Nuncabola 0.8. From the command line, it says that LWJGL is not installed or available. The .dll files for LWJGL are in the same directory as Nuncabola? what gives?

Any help appreciated.

PS. On a complete and utter off topic - just installed cdemu/gcdemu under Mint Linux (Jaunty 9.0.4) and it is the best virtual CD/DVD app since DaemonTools!! Also, You Don't Know Jack series runs sweetly under Wine!!! as does Daphne (Dragons Lair II)... <head explodes>.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

themacmeister wrote:

I just installed the latest JavaRE under WinXP, and had Nuncabola 0.8. From the command line, it says that LWJGL is not installed or available. The .dll files for LWJGL are in the same directory as Nuncabola? what gives?

They need to be in Nuncabola\lib\native\windows. That's their path in the provided zip file, you don't have to (and indeed, should not) move them anywhere else...

That is where I found them, when it originally did not work. I moved them to the nuncabola directory, and then to Windows/System32 and it could not find them anywhere? I will try again after a restart, as I had not restarted since installing JavaRE.

Currently Playing:

http://uppgarn.com/files/nuncabola/screenshot5-tn.png http://uppgarn.com/files/nuncabola/screenshot6-tn.png

Nuncabola 0.11

• Fixed a JAR path detection issue

• Experimental fix for the "missing bump sound" problem: no longer allow a quieter sound effect to preempt a louder one

• Ported OpenGL buffer fix (Neverball r2886)

• Improved handling of extraneous whitespace and newlines in sets.txt and set-*.txt files

• Layout tweaks in several screens; any widget can now be set to fill excess space

themacmeister wrote:

That is where I found them, when it originally did not work.

Could you kindly try 0.11 and see if it fixes the problem?

58 (edited by themacmeister 2009-06-18 07:26:55)

Tried the linux version 0.10 (latest JavaRE) and the game ran well, but sound stuttered horribly (using ALSA with PULSEAUDIO disabled). I will try the new PC version later tonight.

EDIT: Using Mint Linux 7.0 (Jaunty 9.04) on AthlonXP-64 X2 (32bit OS).

Currently Playing:

Elvis, that window icon looks great, did you solve the alpha transparency issue with LWJGL?

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

Tried the linux version 0.10 (latest JavaRE) and the game ran well, but sound stuttered horribly (using ALSA with PULSEAUDIO disabled).

Does it go away if you increase the value of audio_buff (in preferences.txt) to, say, 4096?

Elvis, that window icon looks great, did you solve the alpha transparency issue with LWJGL?

Nope, no change here, though the dark background colour in the screenshots may obscure this a little. The fix needs to happen on LWJGL's end, not mine. More precisely, in native/windows/org_lwjgl_opengl_Display.c::createWindowIcon. The folks you linked to were discussing something else. I do appreciate your trying to help, though!

Will retry Linux version of 0.10 and 0.11 tonight.

WinXP - ran well, seemed to be locked to 60fps refresh (F9), my screen refresh is 85Hz. ?!

Currently Playing:

Nuncabola 0.12

• Fixed a bug in the display mode selection code

• Added support for joystick preference; the default value is true – my estimate is that users complaining about their joystick not working "out of the box" would outnumber those with a joystick sending crazy signals

themacmeister wrote:

WinXP - ran well, seemed to be locked to 60fps refresh (F9), my screen refresh is 85Hz. ?!

0.12 is up, perhaps it'll do the trick. Note that Nuncabola will give preference to the desktop refresh rate (Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Monitor) even if the monitor supports higher rates.

64 (edited by parasti 2009-06-19 20:42:03)

Elviz wrote:

Added support for joystick preference; the default value is true – my estimate is that users complaining about their joystick not working "out of the box" would outnumber those with a joystick sending crazy signals

That option seems pretty useless, though.  I imagine hardly anyone will ever want to turn it off just to prevent joystick input noise and nearly everyone will turn it on once and forget about it.  Perhaps I should have instead just removed all references to it.

65 (edited by themacmeister 2009-06-21 03:04:01)

Strange bug on Hackintosh - 10.5.6.

This bug only effects those with no sound devices, so it is not really important to investigate, unless you are interested in the symptoms, which are weird.

Game runs perfectly, but after playing through a certain number of levels, all the coin collection stars turn white, and coin countdown stops, making it impossible to unlock the goal. Sound must be disabled in the BIOS, and no devices in com.apple.audio.devices.plist (or whatever it is called - in /Library/Preferences). The only errors were missing OpenAL messages - no other messages appeared while the bug was occurring.

NB: After getting sound working, the bug disappears completely. Played through two sets. Performance with moving platforms seems to be very slow (comparatively). ;about 1/4 of framerates of non-moving levels.

PS. Cannot test Linux any more, as OSX86 replaced Linux sad

EDIT: Grammar and spelling.

Currently Playing:

Confirming that Nuncabola fails to load LWJGL on GNU+Linux.

parasti wrote:

Confirming that Nuncabola fails to load LWJGL on GNU+Linux.

Which version of Nuncabola?

I've only tested (IIRC) 0.2, which as reported worked after manually installing native libs, and 0.11, which didn't work with none of the default setup, placing libs alongside nuncabola.jar, or giving the path to the libs with -Djava.something from the example in LWJGL docs.  After posting I also had a quick look at 0.13, which didn't work either.

Dumped OSX86 and reinstalled Mint Linux 7.0 - will give it a try tonight!

Currently Playing:

parasti wrote:

After posting I also had a quick look at 0.13, which didn't work either.

To build the path to pass to LWJGL for native library loading, I first need to determine the program root directory (i.e., the place where nuncabola.jar is located). Unfortunately, this isn't quite as simple as one would think. Do you have non-ASCII characters in your path (e.g., /home/jānis/...)? If so, the problem might be encoding-related.

Either way, I've made a small test program (debug.jar; source included in the JAR). Could you put this file in your Nuncabola directory, run it using java -jar debug.jar and tell me what the output is? Perhaps this will shed some light on the issue.

themacmeister wrote:

This bug only effects those with no sound devices, so it is not really important to investigate, unless you are interested in the symptoms, which are weird.

If initialization of OpenAL fails, Nuncabola should still run normally, only without sound. Runtime exceptions after a successful initialization, however, can wreak havoc as they are not currently caught. Sounds like this might have happened in the case you described. While I've never encountered any of these OpenAL errors myself, I always knew this would have to be fixed eventually. I'll add some checks in one of the next versions.

Performance with moving platforms seems to be very slow (comparatively). ;about 1/4 of framerates of non-moving levels.

I have no immediate explanation as to why this would be. To be sure, there's a bit of extra processing going on for moving bodies but it shouldn't amount to such a performance drop even if your system were physics-bound rather than graphics-bound.

PS. Cannot test Linux any more, as OSX86 replaced Linux sad
[...]
Dumped OSX86 and reinstalled Mint Linux 7.0 - will give it a try tonight!

I've never met anyone who switches and reinstalls operating systems as frequently as you do. lol

Thanks for testing!

Elviz wrote:

Do you have non-ASCII characters in your path (e.g., /home/jānis/...)?

Nope, see below.

Either way, I've made a small test program (debug.jar; source included in the JAR). Could you put this file in your Nuncabola directory, run it using java -jar debug.jar and tell me what the output is?

parasti@bld:~/tmp/Nuncabola$ java -jar debug.jar
test1
=====
linux

test2
=====
UTF-8

test3
=====
url=file:/home/parasti/tmp/Nuncabola/debug.jar
uri=file:/home/parasti/tmp/Nuncabola/debug.jar
file=/home/parasti/tmp/Nuncabola/debug.jar
parent=/home/parasti/tmp/Nuncabola
parent (absolute)=/home/parasti/tmp/Nuncabola
parent (canonical)=/home/parasti/tmp/Nuncabola
dir=/home/parasti/tmp/Nuncabola/lib/native/linux
dir (absolute)=/home/parasti/tmp/Nuncabola/lib/native/linux
dir (canonical)=/home/parasti/tmp/Nuncabola/lib/native/linux
lib found=true

parasti@bld:~/tmp/Nuncabola$ java -jar nuncabola.jar
Failure to load LWJGL.
parasti@bld:~/tmp/Nuncabola$

This looks OK. (The test output, that is.) I wonder why LWJGL cannot load the libraries when the path seems to be correct. I don't think it's the same problem themacmeister had with 0.8 on Windows, though. My guess is that that was related to spaces in the path, a bug which has since been squashed.

Nuncabola 0.13

• The desktop colour depth is now given preference when selecting a video mode

• Disallowed writing outside the Replays directory when saving a replay

Nuncabola 0.14

• Print out stack trace of error when LWJGL loading fails

Uploaded 0.14. While it does not contain a fix, the extended diagnostic output might provide a hint as to what's going on. parasti, can you give it a try? Thanks!

Elviz wrote:

Uploaded 0.14. While it does not contain a fix, the extended diagnostic output might provide a hint as to what's going on. parasti, can you give it a try?

That's very helpful, thanks.  I don't have the stack trace any more, but in short, the cause was sloppy Debian packaging (similar-looking stack trace) of some GNOME accessibility library that LWJGL attempted to load for whatever reason.  I hadn't run a package upgrade in a while, so I did, and Nuncabola works fine again.  Sorry about the false alarm.