Re: Nuncabola

themacmeister wrote:

lol ROFL - Game & Watch lol

Wait a second, I owned heaps of them yikes

As many as this guy?

I "only" had four, I think. Luckily, cousins, classmates and neighbours also owned some models which I would play when possible...

That reminds me good times smile

I had Snoopy and Donkey Kong JR.
I also got at least 2 others but I don't remember which titles they were... Are there other brands than Nintendo who sold such mobile console ?

28 (edited by themacmeister 2009-05-22 09:27:57)

From memory, I had juggle, manhole, octopus, snoopy tennis, dual screen Donkey Kong (maybe DK II?), Fire, Mickey Mouse (Eggs?) and probably a few bandai "clones". I was always jealous of my older brother, who had the mini-tabletop LED versions of Pac Man and DK Jr.

Ones I never had but really, really wanted badly were DK Kr (game&watch version) and Mario's Cement Factory (landscape dual screen!).

PS. There are very nice emulators for all of these now (Win only, but most work under Wine too!)... I played the LED DK Jr. just a few days ago (emulated).

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

I had the mini-tabletop version of Pac Man too that was great big_smile

I didn't know about emulators, that sounds very interesting !

Elviz wrote:

Would you say it's in the realm of the acceptable, taking into account Neverball's performance on the same system?

Most of the time, absolutely, though with optimized Neverball Adventure is still fully playable.  There are few maps as complex as that, though, and I'm guessing that ratio also applies to people with old hardware like mine.

That's all part of my evil scheme to prevent players from ever completing Nevermania... tongue

It seems to be working, at least as far as I'm concerned.  wink

Elviz wrote:

I don't even have a cell phone!

Me either. I'm just looking out for the masses...

Actually, congrats on the release , Elviz. Very cool stuff. What does the name mean? Or rather, what language is it in (I assume it means Neverball).

Dave wrote:

Actually, congrats on the release , Elviz. Very cool stuff.

See if it works for you if you find the time. I can always use more beta testers. ^^

What does the name mean? Or rather, what language is it in (I assume it means Neverball).

Yeah, it's supposed to be "Neverball" portuguese-ified. Apparently, it's the same in Spanish. Miguel Diago even used the name quite some time ago, though I only found out about that this morning.

Nuncabola 0.4-0.5

• Improved replay preloading

• Fixed a thread issue in the audio code

Nuncabola 0.6

• Added missing "instant-win" support to cheat mode; changed activation key from 'c' to 'g' (for goal) to move it slightly further away from the default camera control keys

• Fix: Delete four instead of two display lists when freeing switch resources

• Code refactoring (consolidated halo drawing code for goals, teleporters and switches into one class)

When can we expect a .deb package smile

...but seriously, are you considering creating an installer?

Currently Playing:

Should we consider adding Nuncabola to the svn repo?

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

themacmeister wrote:

...but seriously, are you considering creating an installer?

Yes, that's a possibility. The installer would probably have to check for the presence of a compatible JRE and therefore be slightly more complex than Neverball's. I'm not working on this right now, though. For now I'm relying on users being sufficiently tech-savvy to know how to unzip the provided archive file and create a shortcut if desired. Associating replays with Nuncabola also needs to be done manually but is quite possible.

(I could never figure out whether you're really themacmeister or, as your signature suggests, thewindowsmeister or, as numerous other posts indicate, thelinuxdistromeister. I guess in the end you're thecrossplatformmeister! Whatever it is, I'm sure you won't need an installer to get Nuncabola to run...)

jammnrose wrote:

Should we consider adding Nuncabola to the svn repo?

No, it's a separate project with a separate set of committers (a set of one, really). I may find or create a place for a repository somewhere, but this would have to be a dedicated one.

Elviz wrote:

No, it's a separate project with a separate set of committers (a set of one, really). I may find or create a place for a repository somewhere, but this would have to be a dedicated one.

Nevercorner is hosted on a dediacted server , maybe it can host a repository too...

I guess I should be called "thecrossplatformmeister", as I have just installed Mint Linux 7.0. lol

It doesn't have quite the same ring to it tho...

Also, I have had the name since I really was a Mac guru back in the late 80's through to the dark days of the clones and beyond - I remember going all the way from System 6 all the way through to Mac OS 9 barely touching a Windows machine - I did buy a Quadra 630 DOS Compatible (with a 486DX2 processor and dedicated RAM on a card). This probably started me down the infamous "Windows only" route, which it is difficult to return from. I am very impressed with the available software for OSX, and cannot see a single reason (except for cost) why you would not make the switch. All my favourite software, and some very nice games, are available in native Intel versions. They just have to knock AUS$700 off the price of the iMac, and they have a (re)convert.

Currently Playing:

shino wrote:

Nevercorner is hosted on a dediacted server , maybe it can host a repository too...

With Trac, downloadable backups and a cherry on top? What's the URL, shino? lol

Seriously, I wouldn't want to burden you with additional administrative work. A public repository would make it easier for interested people to keep up with source code changes but other than that is not a top priority. Also, I notice you've even outsourced the repository for your own project (Nevertable).

Couldn't we host it on the same server as Neverball?
This is more of what I meant when I suggested to add it.

https://s.snth.net/svn/nuncabola/
rlk may be able to get this setup...

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

Nuncabola 0.7

• Semi-preloading of level meta data

• Set score files: As in Neverball, level unlock information is now respected even if no highscore data follow

• Help screen: Modified hardcoded "Hold Shift..." message to mention customized key

Nuncabola 0.8

• Added support for stats option

• Keyboard screens: Pressing Del now clears the entire text; useful when you want to discard the suggested replay name altogether and type a new one

• Level set list screen: As in Neverball, the last viewed page is now remembered

• Pause screen: Fixed button order

44 (edited by Elviz 2009-06-18 06:09:27)

Nuncabola 0.9

• Support for user-controlled game data (Neverball r2877)
    To extend or override the official game data, put your respective files (such as add-on level sets) in %APPDATA%\Nuncabola\Data

• Support for loading game data from archives (Neverball r2877)
    Zip only, no .tar.gz; Note that archive files and their contents are scanned at program startup only

• Automatic detection of installed level sets (Neverball r2878)

• Replays: Removed 8-byte limit for player name

• Includes updates to ufo.map and accordian.map

Attention: Starting with this release, Nuncabola requires a 1.6-compatible JRE to run. (Edit: This has been reverted for the time being.)

Elviz wrote:

Attention: Starting with this release, Nuncabola requires a 1.6-compatible JRE to run.

Then it's not compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger anymore... sad

Hm... with Java 1.6 having been available since December 2006 and reports of support on Linux being present, I thought it relatively safe to start using 1.6 APIs. The code changes are non-critical so far, it's not impossible to revert them. I'm not really a Mac guy, so I'm not familiar with the situation there. Does the switch mean it no longer works for you, shino? Or are you concerned about other users?

Apple's politic about Java is crazy. They release the JVM themselves and don't support 1.6 on Tiger. No other implementations of JRE 1.6 supports Tiger as far as I know. Of course Tiger is a bit obsolete (2 years) but it's still quite used. Personnaly I use it and I won't upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard as I don't need too.

I agree with you that JRE 1.6 should be available anywhere. Tiger sucks with that.

Anyone with a pre-intel mac (including me) will find it impractical to upgrade to 10.5 and higher, as these OS's are designed specifically for these much faster newer machines. In another 2-3 years, most of those users will have migrated I think.

Okay, I'll revert it. Here at Nuncabola Corp. we're determined to recontextualize best-of-breed infomediaries to deliver the ultimate in customer service delight.

Nuncabola 0.10

• Restored JRE 1.5 compatibility

That was quick.  Took me nearly two weeks to add that stuff to Neverball.  wink