Re: Neverball for iPhone/iPod Touch

... its in progress smile    There is a bit of a learning curve.....

I had a play a few minutes ago and it looks good. Frame rate feels a tiny bit slow, and I couldn't switch to my beloved manual cam (not that there'd be a way to control it), but overall, it's pretty impressive.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

78 (edited by r0ssar00 2008-09-14 05:10:39)

I can only imagine what it plays like(and see a few vids on youtube) cause I've got 2.1 and I don't want to downgrade down to 1.x and lose the ability to run legit app store apps.
btw, DevTeam just released the 2.1 jailbreak on saturday! jailbreaking in 3...2...1...Now!

edit: fixed spelling error

If you cant release a version to the app store because it was based on an older version, then why can't you redo with the most current version ? will that violate any licensing / copyright issues?

80 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2011-02-10 13:09:38)

We got one problem releasing a newer version.

Neverball is licensed under the GNU General Public License, and the App Store has had licensing problems in the past because Apple imposes additional restrictions which conflicts with the nature of the GPL.

Porting 1.4.0 is much safer, as there was only one coder. Now we've got several coders, and at least three (3) of them are inactive, making 1.5.x and beyond infeasible, if not impossible.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

Challenge Space Yard wrote:

We got one problem releasing a newer version.

Neverball is licensed under the GNU General Public License, and the App Store has had licensing problems in the past because Apple imposes additional restrictions which conflicts with the nature of the GPL.

Porting 1.4.0 is much safer, as there was only one coder. Now we've got several coders, and at least three (3) of them are inactive, making 1.5.x and beyond infeasible, if not impossible.

I cannot release Neverball for the iPhone because I promised RLK I would not, as he wanted to have first option on doing that himself when he has the time.  Evidently the arrival of Android has generated renewed interest from others for a mobile version of Neverball, but they will have to do it themselves as I am duty bound to the promise I made.

I didn't realize that. I still gave other complications that existed.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

The unfortunate takedown of VLC for being GPL apparently did not cause a ripple effect. There are quite a few GPL-licensed apps on the App Store.  Take, for example, the Lugaru scandal: http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/02/Counter … developing

I don't have much experiencing developing iOS apps. But I know that the Cydia repo might be a better place to distribute the game should such a day come.

Wow, that Lugaru situation really sucks. It does seem pretty clear-cut to my understanding that those iCode guys are being real scumbags. Sorry, a little thread drift. That post is worth a read, though. I hope Apple grows a pair and does the right thing, or else they ought to get dragged into court along with those other guys (on principal if nothing else)

Have faith! The newest blog post indicates that the pirate copy was removed: http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/02/Counter … qus_thread

But the point is the white elephant here is not being addressed: Lugaru is a GPL app in the App Store. So why did VLC get so much flack?