Re: Neverball for iPhone/iPod Touch

yep, I understand.  1.5 will evidently be a big release, and so it should be.  I don't think the outstanding bugs will affect the iphone version too much though.   I just wish I had used it as a starting point thats all ... I didn't even know about 1.5 until I had nearly finished the port.

By the way, what's the versioning scheme?  I'm seeing a lot of mention of "Neverball 1.0", "Neverball 1.2", "Neverball 1.2.1", which isn't desirable because it clashes with Neverball's own version numbers.  People won't ever be able to Google these versions again without coming across the 1.4.0-based port.

parasti wrote:

By the way, what's the versioning scheme?  I'm seeing a lot of mention of "Neverball 1.0", "Neverball 1.2", "Neverball 1.2.1", which isn't desirable because it clashes with Neverball's own version numbers.  People won't ever be able to Google these versions again without coming across the 1.4.0-based port.

yeah, I know.  Unfortunately I wasn't really in control of the numbering scheme at the start.  I will probably carry on with 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3 etc. until I am happy that I have achieved full compatibility with 1.4, and then I might call it 1.4   - its tricky because I am fixing stuff all the time. 

However, think of it as another 320,000 people that now know of Neverball smile

Have you any suggestions ?

I was thinking of Debian-style versioning, "<upstream-version>-<package-version>"...  Or maybe just call it iNeverball and stick with the current scheme.  tongue

people hate apps called i<something> lol.

the thing is, the two versions are very different.  The PC/Mac etc versions are hi-fidelity supreme gaming experiences.  The iphone version is a hack that pushes the limits of the device already.  I don't think people are going to confuse them, even though the iphone version probably generates more hits at the moment on google....

How about calling it: Neverball ME (Mobile Edition)
v1.4.1-ME

Or something like that.

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

Hmmm, I quite like that.  I'll see if the repo manager can accommodate that kind of version or name change.  Thanks.   I will probably stick with 1.2.x as a version until I have added neverputt and sorted out all the problems, before calling it 1.4, otherwise the version will end up at 1.4.35 or something crazy ...

I don't see anything wrong with that, though would Neverball ME v1.4.1-35 or something be appropriate (that keeps it obvious what the comparative Neverball version is while also giving the important port version)?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I am loving neverputt.  I never really got into it before, but since I got the port working on the iphone/ipod, I can't stop playing it.  It is absolutely brilliant.  A complete work of genius.  I congratulate you all on your hard work smile

I stuck up a video so you can see ....

http://www.youtube.com/v/QXlAoJTihh8

Totally awesome work - controls not too intuitive - hehe - but you seem to play it better on the iPhone than I do on the PC! and I've had 'some' practice!!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Oh wow Neverputt on iPhone looks fantastic.

I haven't tried Neverball on iPhone, but I have played Super Monkey Ball.  I found it difficult, and I expect Neverball is similar.

Neverputt though... damn if these end up on the App Store, I wouldn't be surprised if Neverputt is a lot more popular than Neverball.

Yeah, Neverputt is just a perfect match for mobile devices.  I have applied to Apple for their developer program, but no news yet... sad

That looks great, Lazrhog!

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

wow.  I never thought mobile devices would save neverputt  smile

65 (edited by Lazrhog 2008-08-04 21:10:59)

yeah, it is very very cool on the iphone, and its getting some very positive feedback.  Unfortunately Vidski, it didn't have enough oomph to play Golf Jambolaya :-(   Only about half of the courses were ok, and the other half were too slow.... sorry.   Although, if there is any chance you could knock up a nice hole (not too complicated) with your windmill in it, that would be cool to add that for when (and if) it goes on the appstore smile

I am probably going to develop it a bit further, with saving of high scores, and replays and stuff.  Is everyone OK with that, because the svn 1.5 version doesn't seem that far displaced from the 1.4 ......

67 (edited by parasti 2008-08-04 21:24:26)

Of course!  Indeed, most of the post-1.4.0 development has concerned mostly Neverball, with Neverputt pretty much being left to rot...  So it could really use some attention code-wise.

Contact rlk and get yourself a Subversion login.

Great job Lazrhog!

69 (edited by vidski 2008-08-06 08:16:28)

First of all thats freeeeeekin awesome. 

http://neverball.zoomshare.com/files/111_0.jpg

I will try my best to convert maps and take less space

70 (edited by Lazrhog 2008-08-06 15:57:36)

the one I used for the title screen was a bit too slow unfortunately, but was beautiful to look at, so I used it for that.  The windmill and one other didn't compile using 1.4.0 mapc.exe.  They generated an error.

I made a list of the ones that were not fast enough.  I will add them back into my version and test them again and let you know.

Thanks vidski.  It might be that for the more difficult holes you could make some changes, or replace them with any new ideas you have.  I just would love to have the windmill.  That to me says Crazy Golf !

Also, does anyone know why the 'white' texture is used on some holes.  It just doesn't work for me.  Is it supposed to be ice ?

I think the 'white' texture means the correct one is missing/misnamed... Though I could be wrong.

Also, maybe two-third the size of the 'ME'? It looks too large on there.

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

jammnrose wrote:

I think the 'white' texture means the correct one is missing/misnamed... Though I could be wrong.

Also, maybe two-third the size of the 'ME'? It looks too large on there.

When I looked in the map file though, it references the white texture ....   

That picture is only the splash screen.

Is the iPhone version available still?   I can't seem to find it.

should be.  On the BigBoss source in installer.

iPhone OS 2.0 please, pretty please with a cherry on top.  i hacked(scp and dpkg --force-architecture) it on and it crashes just as soon as the splash screen shows for a couple of seconds sad
i know it's hard work porting this and all, this is only a request, but since most people are heading towards 2.0, it might be a good idea to do a *little* bit more porting.