Re: Neverball for iPhone/iPod Touch

I assumed the port was for 1.4.0, not the in-development source code..?

27 (edited by Lazrhog 2008-07-03 12:48:36)

yep it was 1.4.0, and that .sol file crashed, and didn't load like the others ... sad

28 (edited by Elviz 2008-09-29 04:04:25)

Oh, I thought you were basing your port on the new code.

You could try these:

Edit: Links removed.

Perhaps they won't offer any better performance, but I don't think much more can be done...

Thats waaay better.  Thanks.   At least its playable now, which it wasn't before.

OK, just added a new video to youtube ... enjoy

Neverball getting close to a release

Hey Laz,

Just found this via Digg - looks like Apple set a deadline for inclusion on the app store on release (3G iPhone)

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.a … -inclusion

Cheers.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Incredible work, Lazrhog.  Just incredible.

Fantastic!  Love it!

yeah, some people have had issues with the controls, so I am adding accelerometer options screens etc, and tweaking the sensitivity, before I start work on all the glaring graphics problems my version still has....  I also used smaller textures everywhere, but I don't think I need to, so I am going to improve on the texture quality too.

I have no idea why the flat texture on the title screen comes out with a texture that has rings all over it ???   I will work it out though smile

At least it now only uses OpenGLES, nothing else.  No SDL, no libraries, nothing, which I am pleased with.  Although it took me a while to get a text renderer using only a single alphabet texture that worked with roberts gui system.  Phew.  Although there are still a few problems with deciding the sizes of the number surrounds.

I vote that Lazrhog joins the Neverball development team proper!!!

ALL THOSE IN FAVOUR?!

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

(I wrote a comment that I realised wasn't thought-out well, and since I'm too lazy to think and write a new one, I just deleted it.  Just a heads-up to whoever read it.)

Lazrhog, the chrome texture is coming out wrong because it uses the SPHERE_MAP texture coordinate generation mode.  This gives the illusion of anisotropic reflectance.  If OpenGL ES doesn't support TexGen or its sphere mode, then we can do it with cube mapping instead (which is something I've meant to do for a long time).  Let me know if you want some help with that.

IMO after the port code has been revised more, it should be updated for 1.5 code...
One other thing, it's true the original code was made by Robert, but now it's community code so I'd say to remove this?
Also, maybe the 'port' line could be removed too? Since it is a port made totally by one person though (great work btw!), it's fine to have it.

Assuming the code is updated to the current development code, I would really like to see it merged at some point.

Another thing, if Neverball for the iPhone can drop SDL, would it give more performance under normal OS'es to also remove SDL? Just a thought, since normal OpenGL modification is probably much easier.

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

I'm with jammnrose. I'd love to see this making use of 1.5 code. There are a lot of changes, some which give performance increases (though I have no idea what the impact of not using SDL might have).

In peripherally related off topic news, it appears that the openmoko platform doesn't support openGL es at this point in time sad

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

jammnrose wrote:

IMO after the port code has been revised more, it should be updated for 1.5 code...
One other thing, it's true the original code was made by Robert, but now it's community code so I'd say to remove this?
Also, maybe the 'port' line could be removed too? Since it is a port made totally by one person though (great work btw!), it's fine to have it.

Assuming the code is updated to the current development code, I would really like to see it merged at some point.

Another thing, if Neverball for the iPhone can drop SDL, would it give more performance under normal OS'es to also remove SDL? Just a thought, since normal OpenGL modification is probably much easier.

Well I lifted the latest repository last night.  Big mistake.  I found loads of new levels in there.  So that wasted another evening lol.

The thing is, there is an iphone port of SDL, I just don't like using it when I don't have to.  The trouble that makes is I don't have a png loader, or a jpg loader, so I convert everything to TGAs which makes life much easier.  At least now it is portable to *any* opengles supported platform (once I have finished it and released the source).  I would be much happier if all graphics were TGAs smile

btw, I didn't make the title graphics.  If there were some 480x320 graphics that were more suitable then I would use them.  It's always the last thing to do, and I never get around to it ....

Merging the code might be quite difficult, because to fix some problems, I have just commented out rafts of code that I don't need, and some issues have been really strange that I can only put down to floating point precision errors that stopped stuff like the coin parts working.

rlk wrote:

Lazrhog, the chrome texture is coming out wrong because it uses the SPHERE_MAP texture coordinate generation mode.  This gives the illusion of anisotropic reflectance.  If OpenGL ES doesn't support TexGen or its sphere mode, then we can do it with cube mapping instead (which is something I've meant to do for a long time).  Let me know if you want some help with that.

when I start looking at it, I'll let you know if I run into any problems.  Thanks.

I thought we steered away from tgas because png was a more open format. We used to have tgas before, right?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:

I thought we steered away from tgas because png was a more open format. We used to have tgas before, right?

you don't have to worry about it, I just convert them all for the iphone version.  Its no hassle.  If I had some code to read in pngs then I would use pngs but I haven't, and I wasn't about to write one !

44 (edited by Cheeseness 2008-07-11 01:18:43)

Some of the others on the forum here might be able to come up with something. I know jammnrose was playing around with png loading stuff for the MacOS port, and parasti is pretty knowledgeable about things (and of course there's rlk if he has time or interest). imo, it'd be nice to keep the same data/resource files across all platforms.

Edit: Do what you've got to to get the port working though - that's the main thing.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Last time rlk touched the code, he got rid of a couple of dependencies:  SDL_mixer and SDL_image.  The audio code now uses the, uh, "raw" SDL audio interface and loads audio data through libvorbis/libogg, and images are loaded directly through libpng and libjpeg.  I imagine back-porting the image loading routines to 1.4.0 would be fairly effortless, but as long as the current solution works I don't see much point doing it.  (As a side thought, let's do this and release the code as 1.4.1...)

Holy cack.   I've just been looking through the changes from 1.4 to the latest svn.  Jeez, you lot just couldn't leave it alone could you smile

I wish the 1.5 had been linked from the homepage, because I would have started from that rather than 1.4 for the iphone had I known sad

Oh, well some long nights ahead of me I think ....

47 (edited by Challenge Space Yard 2008-07-16 20:12:56)

1.5 was and still is probably unfinished. There are still bugs that need to be fixed, and many of the current developers have little unused resources to dedicate to Neverball.

1.5 is a "community release", and its members don't want to take a step backwards by releasing it with unfixed bugs.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

yeah but if I at least get the iphone version a deviation from 1.5, then the other changes in the future will only be minor tweaks.

yeah, sorry about that lazr, we all are super excited and appreciate what you've done.

CSY was just explaining why 1.5.0 isn't up on the web site...  Nothing to be sorry about.