Topic: Neverball for iPhone/iPod Touch

Hi,

I am currently porting Neverball to the iPhone and iPod Touch, and thought you might like to see some videos I took.

first is just some early aerial shots of a level (but i have fixed some graphical glitches that had since I took that one), and the second is me playing it using an ipod touch and its built in accelerometer.

I'll keep posting with updates as and when they happen smile

cheers,
Lazrhog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N2NtW7jlHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfS2OUjKfZQ

Re: Neverball for iPhone/iPod Touch

Wow laz, that is super cool.
can't wait to see this in person.

cheers!

Lazrhog, that looks really great! It seems to respond quite well. Nice work!

Get it onto the Apple authorised downloads, and you are set!

Does anyone know the percentage of hacked iPhones?

I heard an estimate of 1 in 3 recently...

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

Welcome Lazrhog.
Great project.
Playing Neverball everwhere, it's a nice dream roll
Keep up the good work!

themacmeister wrote:

Get it onto the Apple authorised downloads, and you are set!

Does anyone know the percentage of hacked iPhones?

I heard an estimate of 1 in 3 recently...

Errr, I cannot sell this on the Apple "App Store" because it belongs to Robert !   Believe me I have had loads of e-mails with offers to put this on the App Store, but it isn't going to happen.  I will be releasing it for free.  Besides the timing isn't right.  It would be competing directly against Super Monkey Ball on release date of July 11th, and there is no way I could make it using the SDK in that timeframe anyhow.

Wouldn't selling it cover the costs for distribution and the extra code stuff to make the port work? You could still provide a link the the source code, the original and/or the port itself.

Also, I think you may be able to get it on the 'Authorized' downloads section at Apple that isn't specifically for the iPhone, eg the software section. I'm not 100% sure of this though.

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

Also, since the iPhone is like OS X, I might be able to help a little with how to get it working...

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

Basically it is for jailbroken iphones and its free.  What happens after that can be a topic for discussion.  I haven't finished it yet, although I have been having fun trying out all the levels for the last hour or so.  What is it with the pipes level ?    Its the only one I have found so far to have slowdown ....

Pipes has a lot of 'lumps', probably too many to handle with an iPod/iPhone processor.

Lazrhog wrote:

What is it with the pipes level ?    Its the only one I have found so far to have slowdown ....

Hah.  The computers-are-so-fast-these-days crowd won't be happy to read this.

You can actually sell it...  But you gotta make the source code available under the GPL if you release the port.  On that note, I don't know how involved the needed changes are, but do you think it would be reasonable to consider merging (some of) them with the main code base at some point?

Hell, I'd buy it, and I don't even own an iPhone (although they should be available in Australia very shortly).

Will iPhone software 2.0 even allow installation of unsigned apps anymore - I understood that everything needs to go through the app store - free or otherwise?!

Thanks for the heads up on SMB, I had no idea that was happening...

OK, 3.7Mil iPhones sold at 1st quarter 2008 - only 2Mil activated, that leaves 1.7Mil unaccounted for, and a very healthy percentage of these would be hacked/jailbroken - so there is a decent user base of hacked iPhones out there smile

Currently Playing:

My first game I released for the jailbreak community has been downloaded over 450000 times - thats a fairly healthy market.  I suspect Neverball would get over a million ....

Lazrhog wrote:

What is it with the pipes level ?    Its the only one I have found so far to have slowdown ....

I've committed an optimized version of pipe.map. Please give it a try...

For those technically interested, in rlk's original level all segments of the pipe were hollow, even though most of them didn't need to be, as their insides were both inaccessible and invisible. When making things smoother, I tried to stay as faithful to the original maps as possible, so I kept this design. However, it's easily possible to simply use cylinders (prisms) for the segments in question, so that's what the latest revision does. Neither the gameplay nor the visuals should be affected by this. At the junctions between hollow and solid segments, the outer vertices still coincide.

I would very much like to see Lazrhog's port of Neverball made available for non-jailbroken iPhones (like mine) for $0.00 on the App Store.  For this to be possible, someone needs to pony up $99 for the Standard iPhone Developer Program.  I'm willing to do that if need be.  It's up to Lazrhog to decide what he wants to do with his port, but I'd like to see his code folded into the trunk, and the iPhone to be an Officially Supported Neverball Platform.

Sweet!

Unfortunately I can't help with $ at this time. Got those good ol' college payments wink.

rlk wrote:

I would very much like to see Lazrhog's port of Neverball made available for non-jailbroken iPhones (like mine) for $0.00 on the App Store.  For this to be possible, someone needs to pony up $99 for the Standard iPhone Developer Program.  I'm willing to do that if need be.  It's up to Lazrhog to decide what he wants to do with his port, but I'd like to see his code folded into the trunk, and the iPhone to be an Officially Supported Neverball Platform.

well I will release for jailbreak first, and then we can talk about what happens next.  I have change an awful lot of code that needs tidying up afterwards, but there is no reason why it can't port then onto many platforms given that it would then be completely re-written in OpenglES with no SDL.

.. of course instead of being 0.00, it can sell for $1.00 and we can all make a million bucks each smile   (only kidding btw smile)

Lazrhog wrote:

well I will release for jailbreak first, and then we can talk about what happens next.  I have change an awful lot of code that needs tidying up afterwards, but there is no reason why it can't port then onto many platforms given that it would then be completely re-written in OpenglES with no SDL.

Wow, you ported it to OpenGL ES?  That's a lot of work!  I have been contacted by a few hardware manufacturers looking for demos for new and upcoming portable devices, but in each case they ended up skipping it because the ES port was too deep a change.

Did you target the 1.0 or 2.0 API?

Hmmm, I didn't need anything on 2.0, and the iphone doesn't have 2.0 I think.    Now you appreciate the extent of the changes (and what a nightmare I am having implementing the widget gui grrr wink)

I'd happily throw a few dollars towards getting Neverball as a free download in the iPhone store.

Unfortunately my router's on the blink and I don't have the bandwidth to view youtube. Are you using the accelerometers or a touch interface to control the ball?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Accelerometers  smile    Wouldn't have been worth doing otherwise....

2.0 is coming out directly (ie. REAL SOON!). I am also 100% for the app store idea...

Currently Playing:

themacmeister wrote:

2.0 is coming out directly (ie. REAL SOON!). I am also 100% for the app store idea...

we were discussing the OpenGLES implemented version, not the iPhone firmware version (which is what I think you are referring to)

Elviz wrote:
Lazrhog wrote:

I've committed an optimized version of pipe.map. Please give it a try...

For those technically interested, in rlk's original level all segments of the pipe were hollow, even though most of them didn't need to be, as their insides were both inaccessible and invisible. When making things smoother, I tried to stay as faithful to the original maps as possible, so I kept this design. However, it's easily possible to simply use cylinders (prisms) for the segments in question, so that's what the latest revision does. Neither the gameplay nor the visuals should be affected by this. At the junctions between hollow and solid segments, the outer vertices still coincide.

This isn't the only map with slowdown by the way, now that I have played lots of them - however, it is the slowest, so I tried this map, but when I put the .sol file in the right place, I get no pipe, just the coins and goal.

It is probably my knowledge of the whole mapc.exe thing letting me down, so can you post a working .sol file please ?   thanks.

25 (edited by Elviz 2008-07-03 13:59:06)

Lazrhog wrote:

It is probably my knowledge of the whole mapc.exe thing letting me down, so can you post a working .sol file please ?

Edit: Link removed.