Re: A new kind of ball

O MY GOODNESS... Brilliant!
Black eyes needed though, not blue.
And the reflection looks wrong for some reason.

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

<3 Blinky is my hero

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

We need a pac-man too!

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

29 (edited by themacmeister 2008-01-05 23:54:01)

jeez louise! where have you been for the last 2 years!!!

I was going to post something, but RLK's latest posts & screenies has made me forget what I was thinking... too awesome.

Oh yeah, would it be better to make the "radioactive logos" smaller on the outside of reactor ball? It seems too big and blatant, and when off-kilter when rolling, looks stranger than it should. Maybe a transparent logo?

EDIT: Would love to see orbital glgears or glxgears happening in a glass ball. There is a wonderful xscreensaver module with this orbital motion.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

jammnrose wrote:

Black eyes needed though, not blue.
And the reflection looks wrong for some reason.

http://snth.net/~rlk/neverball/pacman.pnghttp://snth.net/~rlk/neverball/blinky.jpg

And what's wrong with the reflection?

themacmeister wrote:

Oh yeah, would it be better to make the "radioactive logos" smaller on the outside of reactor ball? It seems too big and blatant, and when off-kilter when rolling, looks stranger than it should. Maybe a transparent logo?

One of the penalties the octaball suffers from, having fewer triangles at the poles, is that textures don't map well there.  With fewer vertices, edges are more faceted.  The radioactive symbol didn't look good smaller.

EDIT: Would love to see orbital glgears or glxgears happening in a glass ball. There is a wonderful xscreensaver module with this orbital motion.

That'll become possible once I implement the mechanism that makes the snowglobe train run.  I was actually thinking along similar lines... like an entire clock mechanism.

Do I hear "rotating objects"?

33 (edited by themacmeister 2008-01-06 00:13:39)

CORRECTION: nearly 5 years, not 2. I have a backup copy of 1.4.0 from 9th March 2003!!

It's definitely time for 1.5.0.  smile

Currently Playing:

rlk, are you thinking of something skeletal based, or just rotation around points?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

parasti wrote:

Do I hear "rotating objects"?

Don't get your hopes up.

Cheeseness wrote:

rlk, are you thinking of something skeletal based, or just rotation around points?

Guess.

In answer to both questions: I work within the medium.

I thought it might look better with black eyes, I have a t-shirt with pac-man ghosts on it and they have black eyes. But since the official game has them in blue, either way is good.
And now that I look at, it I see one side of the ghost is intersecting and going through the floor, so the reflection is okay. Didn't notice that before.

Yeah! ha ha

swinging balls

38 (edited by Cheeseness 2008-01-06 04:15:44)

Edit: Never mind, I think I answered my own question.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I like the look of the ball better without the ghost, seems more realistic.
Also, since rlk's last fix the basic ball looks super great! back to it's old luster.

Hey, I just noticed that the red/green/white light columns associated with switches and teleporters are appearing in front of the ball regardless of the ball's location. And of course, you can no longer see the surface of the ball penetrating the boundary of the entity.

I hope that's easy to fix. I imagine it is for somebody .. tongue

Cheeseness wrote:

I realized today that you and I probably have very different definitions of "skeletal".

To me, a skeletal system involves Bezier control curve evaluation, quaternion interpolation, vertex weighting, matrix palette skinning, on-the-fly normal computation, and a whole pile of other unpleasantries.  I was wondering why you'd think anything that complex would be necessary just for some simple ball effects.

But when you say "skeletal" you probably just mean hierarchical transform.

If so, then yeah we'll definitely have "something skeletal".  tongue

tonesfrommars wrote:

Hey, I just noticed that the red/green/white light columns associated with switches and teleporters are appearing in front of the ball regardless of the ball's location. And of course, you can no longer see the surface of the ball penetrating the boundary of the entity.

I hope that's easy to fix. I imagine it is for somebody .. tongue

Oh yeah.  I forgot about that.  The old ball made a special pass to ensure it was registered in the Z-buffer.  The new ball doesn't do that.  This is significant, and not hard to fix, so I'll add a solution.

There's a ton of new stuff related to balls now.  Creating new balls is not straightforward.  I'll write a document describing all the considerations that go into it.

rlk wrote:

I realized today that you and I probably have very different definitions of "skeletal".

Ah, another glaring reminder that although I like to think of myself as a programmer, I seem to comprehend content creation far better than complex simulations.

I was referring to the difference between rotating a whole object around a point (like the train), and moving parts of a model with perhaps some animation blending (for if we wanted to have an axolotl or something running around the ball, moving its feet to match the momentum of the ball, and maybe doing a little dance whenever a coin was collected).

Thinking about it, some physics type stuff (say, having the snow in the snow globe settle and then stir up when you bounce off something, or dice within the ball that rolled around inside) could look pretty nice.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:
rlk wrote:

Ah, another glaring reminder that although I like to think of myself as a programmer, I seem to comprehend content creation far better than complex simulations.

I was referring to the difference between rotating a whole object around a point (like the train), and moving parts of a model with perhaps some animation blending (for if we wanted to have an axolotl or something running around the ball, moving its feet to match the momentum of the ball, and maybe doing a little dance whenever a coin was collected).

Thinking about it, some physics type stuff (say, having the snow in the snow globe settle and then stir up when you bounce off something, or dice within the ball that rolled around inside) could look pretty nice.

Ok I was wrong.  You ARE fucking nuts.  No, we're not going to have dancing axolotls or piling snow.

Good God.  Think of the effort involved in implementing this.  Who's going to do that work?  You?  And for what, a superficial enhancement that has no impact on gameplay?  Get a grip on reality.

For fuck's sake, look at what I've done over the last month.  Look at what I've added in this thread alone!  It's not enough?

45 (edited by Cheeseness 2008-01-06 19:50:44)

I was born nuts
big_smile

I was just curious to know what sort of thing you were thinking about, not saying that anything specific should be implemented. Remember that we were all pretty surprised to see the stuff that you've done in this thread. Some of us (well, me at least) aren't sure where you're drawing the line with it.

rlk wrote:

We don't have any kind of generalized skeletal animation yet.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Yeah, Cheese is nuts, and his friends are friggin INSANE.
lol

47 (edited by Cheeseness 2008-01-06 22:33:46)

Wait, I have friends?

Edit: Oh. Her. Well, she is a Texan.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

<themacmeister meekly raises his hand slowly> friend??

Currently Playing:

Awww
I have two friends. I'm a rich, rich man.

Out of side interest (and vaguely related to the thread), what are you using to model the objs, rlk?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I will venture a guess that he is using Wings.

I believe this was his recommendation to me when I first became interested in mapping.

Currently Playing: