Re: Environment backgrounds

AHHHHHH, turn on anti-aliasing... AGG
Otherwise it's awesome.

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

heh
I noticed that as soon as I uploaded it.

I do get some bizarre stuff that looks like zfighting happening on the reflective surfaces on frogger. Can anyone else confirm this?

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Hey cheese,

I love your earlier lava model (volcano5?), the newer ones look a bit 'pointy'.

I would love some more readily identifiable dinosaurs (pterodactyl? brontosaurus?). Apart from that it is freaking awesome.

Oh, you may want to diffuse the sun a bit more...

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

The lower background looks really nice in motion. It feels like it's bubbling a bit. Have a look at it in game if you get a chance.

I think the stegosaur is as far as I'm willing to take it. I don't want to overdo it!

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

The png looks really nice. Very good eye for graphics I think.

Do you think there is a chance that you could make a branch in the svn, so that viewing in-game (also of future versions!) would be more comfortable? I think it would be also a benefit for you to have one more backup copy, in case your hard disk breaks down right now, which can happen any time. I hope I could motivate you ... smile

Thanks!

I was definitely planning on it. At the time though I didn't have my SVN password on me and right now, it's 12:30am and I have to work in the morning, so maybe tomorrow if I get enough conference stuff done.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

This is definitely a reasonable time frame. I didn't plan on stressing you big_smile but it seems the motivation works as planned. Looking forward to seeing the lava moving!!

Great env Cheese!
Just one note: every elements seem so far, so have you tried something closer?
BTW, I think I missed something as the falling stars look very odd:
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/20/screen00328ni8.th.png
I just switched my data dir with the data dir of your branch.

BTW, in case there's any confusion about what "your branch" means:  it was Challenge Space Yard who created the "volcano-bg" branch, not Cheeseness.

Oops. Forgot to acknowledge Cheeseness. I hope I didn't muck up the structure.

Welcome... to the Nevergalaxy!
(and also Neverputt Calendar)

61 (edited by Cheeseness 2008-12-04 02:04:31)

Um, not sure what happened there, mym. Looks like the meteor sprite hasn't loaded correctly. How different does it look in-game to this screenshot? The mountains are meant to be in the distance so to speak.

Thanks CSY. I definitely haven't had the opportunity to upload anything. I get a minute in the morning before work and a few minutes whilst I'm at home for lunch and that's only just been enough time to keep on top of the forums.

Edit: When I get a few more minutes, I'll co the branch and see if it looks as it should.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I updated the branch so that the levels suggested by rlk have the background and meteorite.png is now present (I must've missed that out of my archive above sad )

It all looks the same as it does in my working copy now.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I had a look at the background and I like it a lot. At work, I can only play without reflection etc, so it might even look better than that! However I noticed that the meteor looks a bit strange if you hit f12 and look upwards, I think this is intrinsic to the way moving billboards are currently defined. I'm not sure that it's noticeable altogether if you don't specifically look for it. If you want a more "natural" behavior, you can try to let it start at a lower angle (nearer to the horizon), then it will look better, I think.

Apart from that, I especially like how the stars are obscured by the kind of yellowish "light". The moving lave looks quite nice, however maybe another sprite (a new one?) would fit better? The similarity to the water waves is striking. Maybe the same form but another color would suffice?

In conclusion, very well done, and very consistent stylistically to the other backgrounds. I'm looking forward to seeing it as a part of NB!

Cheese, I love your last changes, and everything works fine now for me smile
Maybe just one thing is missing: an adequate music for this new env wink

Your volcano is really cool :-)
But while looking at the different levels i got an odd behaviour with the reflection in hard 9. At the starting screen in the level the reflections flicker from red to yellow or at least so it seems. Have a look here to get an impression. The flicker vanishes if i hit a key to play the level and doesn't happen again until start screen.
Probably that has nothing to do with your volcano but it occurs only with this background.

Thanks guys!

I mentioned the reflection thing before. I'm going to make an uneducated guess and say that it has to do with the upper lava texture clipping against the reflected sky, since it's 'farther away' than the level geometry. I would call it a bug (reflections shouldn't be clipped by stuff that isn't reflected), but yes, my background is the only background with anything so close to the level (the top layer of my lava is about 8 units away).

I really wish I had time to compose something. I've got an idea of what I'd like hear go along with it. If I get a chance, I will see what I can come up with. What's really frustrating is that I have something I wrote that would fit perfectly with my antarctic background (which I've made a start on), but I'm really doubting that I'll get that finished before we're ready for release.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:

I'm really doubting that I'll get that finished before we're ready for release.

Hah! Good one, Cheese... oh wait! you were serious, weren't you? tongue

(it's just the omnipresent joke, you know...)

OK, I don't think I'll have that finished before March.
:b

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

69 (edited by parasti 2009-05-11 22:01:57)

I had a look at merging the volcano background, but only got as far as syncing the branch to trunk.  Turns out it adds a bunch of non-power-of-two sized textures, which simply do not show up with my poor GeForce4-really-2 (and aren't allowed in OpenGL < 2.0 anyway), causing countless white spots in the background.  I'm not sure how to properly deal with this.

I still mandate power-of-two textures.  They can be scaled, but the quality would be best if they were generated at a power of two.

I merged this.  I don't know if the changed levels should really be using the volcano background, but I have no better ideas so I just left it that way.

I don't think the 1:1 mapping between backgrounds and music tracks that has been the convention for the official sets (with the exception of title.map) should be given up.

In other words, don't use the volcano background until a track6.ogg has been made to accompany it.

73 (edited by parasti 2009-07-22 21:37:31)

But that will never happen.  Should I dig out rc55's Afterglow once again, make it loop somehow, and just use that?

I can see about whipping up a new music track. (that is how I make my living, after all)
I liked rc55's song, but felt it could fit a little better in the style of the stuff rlk did originally. Also, there seemed to be some problems with how it looped if I remember correctly.

I have made some changes to the color values in cheese's volcano background. I don't think he'd mind. I wanted to bring it a little closer in line with all the other backgrounds in terms of hue/saturation and favoring primary colors.
I think it's an improvement, and the lava looks REALLY hot now.

Please, anyone with repo access have a look and let me know if it's a good change.

Thanks!