26 (edited by Cheeseness 2008-04-20 11:17:38)

Re: Environment backgrounds

A quick colour test of another background I'd been working on (I've also been working on some music to go with this one).

http://cheeseness.no-ip.org/stuff/neverball/arctic.png

The cool thing is that I think I'll be able to animate the aurora in an interesting way that should really bring this one alive.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I like it very much!
Some remarks/suggestions:
- Maybe the aurora could me a little bit more diffused/large.
- There already exists 2 bluesky env, so what about making this one with thick gray coulds and flake snow falling?
- What about making the penguin walking slowing? Some other penguins could slide on the icefield.
- What about adding a seal/seahorse who could sometimes emerge from the sea?

28 (edited by Cheeseness 2008-04-20 12:12:44)

Thanks mym!

At the moment, as I said, this is just a colour test (mainly to make sure I could do the aurora the way I wanted). The end thing will (hopefully) look a bazillion times nicer than that and perhaps have a break in the ice with bergs in it and other things to make it look nice.

I wanted to keep it as a clear night (the aurora wouldn't be visible otherwise). I plan to make the lights MASSIVE. Having seen the Australis myself (I was disappointed not to have caught the Borealis whilst I was in North America - there were only two clear nights in the three weeks I was in Ottawa sad  ), I want to do them justice. Plus I like stars, and would like to look at putting some southern hemisphere constellations in (it's now Antarctic tongue ). I'm envisaging the aurora being the main eye-catching-moving-thing-standout-point much as the meteor will be in my volcano one (except HUGE).

I'd like to have snow falling, but I feel that would be better as foreground billboard type stuff, and I'm not 100% sure how all that works at this particular point in time (at the moment, I've been having clipping issues with really close billboards).

I'm not sure about how to go about making billboard elements move along a path like you're suggesting. I don't think it's possible with the current mechanic.

Similarly, with seals and the like (since when to seahorses come out of the water? tongue ), I don't know if there's a way I could come up with animation that I would be happy with. I do have sketches for a beach environment that I wanted to have leaping dolphins in.

Edit: I'm also planning on making my cartesian-spherical coordinates (or "plane generator", which sounds more impressive) available to anyone who wants to play around as well as any other bits in pieces I put together whilst I'm working on these (and maybe update the documentation a bit). Who knows, maybe I'll get motivated enough to write a point and click environment creation GUI.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Cheeseness wrote:

I'd like to have snow falling, but I feel that would be better as foreground billboard type stuff, and I'm not 100% sure how all that works at this particular point in time.

rlk wrote:

Currently the foreground billboard implementation is not as flexible as the background billboards.  In particular, they are not animated.

So I'm not sure you'll be able to make flakes falling and rotating (as I did with nue in a background experiment).

Cheeseness wrote:

I'm not sure about how to go about making billboard elements move along a path like you're suggesting. I don't think it's possible with the current mechanic.

You can define an horizontal path with background billboards.
So, a penguin could walk on the ice, from left to right, then disappear behind a wall of ice on the right and finally appear again behind another wall of ice on the left.
However I'm not sure it will actually work like I imagine ^^

(since when to seahorses come out of the water? tongue )

My dictionary returned these two terms and I wasn't able to select the good one goccia18

Similarly, with seals and the like, I don't know if there's a way I could come up with animation that I would be happy with. I do have sketches for a beach environment that I wanted to have leaping dolphins in.

I was thinking it could be done in a manner close to the waves.
However seals cannot be stretched like waves (to make them disappear), so they could be periodically hidden behind an opaque element.

All I suggest are just thoughts I had when reading/seeing your work.
I think having a single main moving element (like the aurora) is a good idea, though.

30 (edited by Cheeseness 2008-04-20 13:21:45)

mym wrote:

So I'm not sure you'll be able to make flakes falling and rotating (as I did with nue in a background experiment).

I'll have a try and see if I can come up with something that looks good. I'm heading off for a week or so for work and won't have a chance to do anything till the weekend at least.

mym wrote:

So, a penguin could walk on the ice, from left to right, then disappear behind a wall of ice on the right and finally appear again behind another wall of ice on the left.

Ahhh, I thought you were talking about having him walk across the top of the ice bank as opposed to along the horizon. I won't be able to have a gap for ice bergs and things if I have him walk all of the way around though.

mym wrote:

My dictionary returned these two terms and I wasn't able to select the good one goccia18

What I call a seahorse looks like this. They die if they come out of the water sad

Speaking of seals (phoque), when I went sailing last, there was a seal basking in the sun who watched us approach, smilled and then as soon as I brought my camera up, disappeared. It's really unusual for them to come that far up the river since it starts to become fresh water there. Ah, what a completely irreverent and irrelevant anecdote.

mym wrote:

I was thinking it could be done in a manner close to the waves.
However seals cannot be stretched like waves (to make them disappear), so they could be periodically hidden behind an opaque element.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm still feeling like it'd be pretty difficult to pull off. Even the dolphin thing, which would essentially be a spinning square with the dolphin on one side would be awkward to get right.

mym wrote:

All I suggest are just thoughts I had when reading/seeing your work.
I think having a single main moving element (like the aurora) is a good idea, though.

That's OK. Comments are always welcome!

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

This all looks and sounds pretty exciting! Well done. You really have an eye for graphics!!

I did some animated gifs presenting our work on environments.
Cheeseness, if you are interested in some tricks we used for doing them, feel free to ask any question.

Looking great, Cheese! I love the cracked ice flow, and the penguin. Can't wait to see the animated aurora - sounds really neat!

Wow I forgot that the background looked so nice in the end... nice gifs! smile

Thanks Dave and nue!

I didn't realise you'd done animated gifs, mym. They look good.
I'll probably have some questions when I'm ready to look at snow (for the moment, I'm trying to catch up on a week's worth of emails, work, etc.).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

After lots (and lots) of playing around and trying different things, I think I've come up with something that I could be happy with for the 'floor' of the lava level. There were a lot of different iterations.

This one with the grass for instance had an interesting effect. I might be keen to try a forest type environment one day (maybe a spooky night one with dead trees and bats??).
http://cheeseness.no-ip.org/stuff/never … lcano5.png

Anyway, this is looking somewhere close to nice:
http://cheeseness.no-ip.org/stuff/never … lcano6.png

And now, I think I'll get some sleep.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

37 (edited by parasti 2008-05-03 16:38:34)

So far, visually I like volcano4 better than these last two.  volcano4 already has too much stuff in it and in volcano6 the floor is too, uh, emphasised, for lack of a better word.  (But nevertheless, great work.  wink)

OOoOO, I like them both a lot.

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

parasti wrote:

too much stuff

Yes... that has been on my mind.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

I think volcano6 is nice, but it feels more like the surface of the sun. Real lava is more red than yellow. (do a google image search for reference wink

This isn't the final implementation. I'm just getting the technique down that I want to use.

It's also not always as yellow as it is in that particular screenshot (the colour shifts and changes).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

The lava looks like very good, you've done a great work cheese !
The first, with grass, while being an interesting concept is definitely overloaded.
The second one seems perfect for this env.

Thanks, mym.

I originally thought the grass would be the way to go, but I couldn't really come up with a nice way of making it sway (and I think it wouldn't look as good if it were static). Having the big grass like that was an accident that looked interesting.

Animated billboards might be a nice post-1.5.0 feature for me to have a go at.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

hello ..;)
I am back again ..after months of disappearance sorry .. I was about I look again at your pictures to get some inspiration for the music ( even if it is too late .. i just wanted to try anyway..)
but I can't see them, it is said to me the web server isn't responding .. is it just temporary ?;) I hope so any way smile
take care smile

Have a Nice Happy-Kooky-Day ! and May the Marmot Power be with you !!!!!!!

Yeah, I've got a visitor and had to move my servers into another room. I should have them up and running again tomorrow (fingers crossed! It's going to be pretty busy for me over the next few days. Venues to inspect, mountains to climb, kites to fly, movies to see, 900+km worth of driving to do and a birthday to be had).

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

waw so  cool !! all that sounds great !! enjoy big_smile

I'm definitely trying!
Web server is back up again.

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

Soooo Cool thank you  ! I'm going to rush myself at it to see everything big_smile
thank you big_smile

I haven't forgotten about this either!

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net

50 (edited by Cheeseness 2008-12-01 07:22:59)

http://cheeseness.no-ip.org/stuff/neverball/volcano.zip

volcano.map goes in data/map-back/ (and needs compiling)
volcano.png goes in data/back/
everything else goes in data/png/

OK, so the map file is pretty complex. File size wise it is on par with alien. I think it has more moving parts than any other background and definitely has more png assets.

I ditched my lava cracks idea as it was becoming increasingly difficult to execute in the way I had envisaged. Now it's a seething bubbling ruddy lava pit or swamp (I can't tell, but I think it looks nice either way). Reflections don't look too bad (the meteors look a little odd, but that could just be because I know how they behave offscreen)

rlk had suggested that these could replace the city background in the hard set (currently 9 through 12 and III - frogger, quads, teleport, gaps and hallways). That would make me dementedly happy since that particular row contains what are visually two of my favourite levels.

Any thoughts? I'll upload a screenshot later tonight after I've gotten some other jobs done.

Edit:
http://cheeseness.no-ip.org/stuff/never … lcano7.png

Cheese
==========
cheesetalks.net