Topic: XBox Neverball? OpenXDK

18th May 2005 - Release 0.07

OpenXDK 0.07 has just been released! There are a number of key improvements in this release:

* The xecuter issue has been resolved. OpenXDK should now execute using this and any other BIOS/dashboards.
    * The USB input layer has been completely reimplemented and now should support 1.0 - 1.6 XBOXs.
    * New library support: freetype (ttf fonts), jpeg, libpng, zlib
    * SDL support: SDL_ttf, SDL_image, SDL_mixer (in progress)
    * Keyboard, mouse, usb, and controller support
    * debugPrint now contains scrolling
    * Multiple video modes (640x480, 720x480, PAL/NTSC)
    * Flicker filter and soften functionality
    * Numerous little bug fixes

Oh Wow! Assuming the 'Devil's Machine' can do OpenGL without much fuss (and I assume it does), it looks like there is a possibility of a homebrew Neverball/Neverputt. Heck, if it were to work well enough, I implore those involved to make an OFFICIAL X-Box release, and use the proceeds to better the game (code bounties etc. ?). I'd buy 5 copies myself - AND I DON'T OWN AN X-BOX!!

There is a thriving homebrew community at xbins.org and you can check the progress of the OpenXDK here.

Currently Playing:
Celeste and Electronic Super Joy

2 (edited by vidski 2007-07-31 12:01:10)

Re: XBox Neverball? OpenXDK

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhw       

ive tried all this stuff before and it dosent work to a playable ability.  it never will.   I think the bottleneck is in the xbox gpu. its very weak compared to the rest of the systm.

edit:      yes...   xbins  kicks ass!!!

3 (edited by themacmeister 2007-08-01 01:14:34)

but vidski,

They are porting SDL_mixer, SDL_image and SDL_ttf...

all you need then is OpenGL. If you run it at max TV resolution for X-Box (768x576-PAL), it should certainly have the memory, and the GPU grunt to run it, compared with say 1024x768 on a PC. I have played the game at 640x480 on a 466MHz PC with a TNT2 Graphics Card. Heck, the Dreamcast is even running it! Some features like reflection may need to be disabled, but I am estimating the 700MHz X-Box CPU will handle it with style.

The scariest part is the references to the DirectX API, which I understand is awful - although I believe there are tools to convert OpenGL calls to DirectX and vice versa.

The iGPU

A "300 MHz custom-designed graphics chip capable of processing more than 1 trillion operations per second", the iGPU is supposed to have "at least three times the graphics performance of the newest generation of game consoles". Don't you wish you had one now? This graphics chip will deliver more than 200 million polygons per second.

Have faith vidski!

Currently Playing:

Yes the Xbox should be perfectly capable of running Neverball, even with reflections turned on.  The Xbox GPU is  a Geforce falling between the 3 and the 4 (I developed Neverball on a 2).  A DirectX conversion of the game would be time-consuming.  Neverball is limited to OpenGL 1.1 functionality in the interest of compatibility, so a basic GL-DX adapter layer might be sufficient.

5 (edited by jammnrose 2007-08-02 01:26:55)

Heres hoping!
Something we could get on XBOX live as a download? What are the steps to do this? Free/Nominal cost?

EDIT: Isn't there a tool that converts OpenGL to DirectX? Or is that the other way around? I remember reading something about this once...

Mac OS X Xcode project & package maintainer.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

jammnrose wrote:

Heres hoping!
Something we could get on XBOX live as a download? What are the steps to do this? Free/Nominal cost?

A development house contacted me about that a year or two ago (some time before the 360 was released).  They wanted to port Neverball to the 360 and sell it via Live Arcade.  I don't know the details, but there was apparently a process by which they had to meet with Microsoft to acquire approval, and MS passed on the idea.  Unless you're a licensed 360 developer ($$$), your development options are limited to XNA.

jammnrose wrote:

EDIT: Isn't there a tool that converts OpenGL to DirectX? Or is that the other way around? I remember reading something about this once...

It has long been rumored that Microsoft would eliminate OpenGL support in Windows entirely, and instead supply a layer which would adapt the GL API to DirectX at the library level.  Of course, this didn't happen (MS came to their senses and realized that GL isn't going away and neither are its users).  In the end though, something like this would be the easiest means of accomplishing a port.

7 (edited by themacmeister 2007-08-02 23:54:19)

There are tutorials for OpenGL to DirectX conversion at CodeSampler and Ultimate Game Programming.

(unchecked)

and there is always http://nehe.gamedev.net/  smile

Currently Playing:

On another subject, releasing on XBox Arcade would appear to be the best idea, but that means I can't get a copy (or more?) and support the project sad

It would be sweet to give someone an official XBox disk (not homebrew) and have them start playing on a stock unchipped XBox. SWEET!

PS. I found Rogue Leader for my GC yesterday - I may go missing for a while... hehe

Currently Playing:

9 (edited by vidski 2007-08-23 10:31:13)

rlk wrote:

A development house contacted me about that a year or two ago (some time before the 360 was released).  They wanted to port Neverball to the 360 and sell it via Live Arcade.  I don't know the details, but there was apparently a process by which they had to meet with Microsoft to acquire approval, and MS passed on the idea.

Indeed.  Ive heard of this with an XBLA game called geometry wars.   M$ acquired a team or whoever to make less complex games.   They came up with geom. wars and intended it to be freeware. Yet under the blanket it now costs gamers either 600 or 800 points which is around 8-10 bucks to purchase...

go figure,    pshhhhhh

Well, we could hope for an official release on disc, but only charge like $3 for it. Just enough to pay for the costs + like 50 cents.

If you have some Neverball related files you need hosted somewhere, please send a me forum PM/email.

Not forgetting there is a massive homebrew community, and many more modded machines that can boot unnofficial discs too!

Currently Playing:

yes, true

does anyone know where i can download xfedora6?  id like to give this all a shot

Have a look here, here and here

Please don't moderate - they are not real hacking sites wink

Currently Playing: